Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-10-2011, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Member

New to the industry

Looking to purchase my 1st walk behind lawn mower. Not really looking to spend too much (maybe 5-600) for a used one. What is a good brand/model to look for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Probably not going to find a very reliable mower for that money but check craigslist. I would look for either a scag or exmark if you can find one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2011, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You won't get much or far with that little bit of money purchasing commercial lawn equipment. If that's all you can afford to open a business, you're not going to get far and should consider a regular full time job until you can save the thousands it will take to be successful in opening a business.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will try to answer your question with a question. Do you want to work with it, brag that you own one and and let it sit on the back 40 or let your repairman retire early and rich? For that price check the scrap yard. Just being as honest as I can be.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Lawn Care View Post
Looking to purchase my 1st walk behind lawn mower. Not really looking to spend too much (maybe 5-600) for a used one. What is a good brand/model to look for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I take it that you're talking about a 21"? I'm not sure you could find much more than a parts mower for that if you're talking 36"-48" range. You should be able to find a nice used commercial 21" for $500-$600.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

OK, Sorry I was a little short with my first answer. The first thing you need to do is to set some short and long term goals. I was at my Gravely dealer last year and he had a pretty nice belt driven 36" mower for 750.00. To small for my needs but, if I were in the mode to just do small yards and, just starting out, it probably would have been a fair deal. Please keep in mind that I have known this man for over 30 years and I buy everything from him. He is not going to sell me junk. Many guys forget the mower is probably only about 30% of what you need to take care of any yard. I would suggest that you buy the best that you can afford. Just so you know I have my first mower that I started with a 33" Troy Bilt. I'd love to sell to you for 500.00. It's about 15 years old, still works fine. Hasn't been started in about 3 years but with fresh gas, choke it and about 3-5 pulls it will start. It's hard to manuver on hills, has a home made bagger that doesn't work very well in the spring wet grass. I have a new set of blades that I will throw in. I'd just love to sell it to you for the price you want to pay but, I would not do that to you. That is what you can expect to buy for the price you want to pay. I would suggest that you set your goals and do some research on your own. Detrmine what kind of lawns that you want to maintain and buy the equipment you need to best maintain the lawns that fit in to your goals. The goals you set today probably will be not even close to what will really come your way. If you buy a 500-600 dollar mower you will regret every minute you are behind it. You will also be out cutting lawns for less than 20.00 just to prove that you can do this. Set your self up not to get rich but, to look professonal and get the better jobs. This you will never regret Good luck with your decision process.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would look for an older Toro hydro with a T-bar, I just purchased a 36" for $450.00.
14 HP Kohler Command.
Look's good, run's and cut's well........

Good luck with the buisness.

Self employed for over 35 years..
Old 04-11-2011, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks all for the reply. After doing research on the subject it seems I will have to invest more. I can afford it, I just wasn't very well informed on the subject.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have 2003 Ferris dual drive hydro 61" 25 hp kawi , adjustable deck walk behind for sale. Runs and cuts great. $1200 and it's yours. Very good deal. I just need some space. Too many mowers.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just a little bit more information for you. Check out ebay. Depending on what you are looking for ebay will have all kinds of mowers there. Be sure to also check the price that it sold for. That will help you detirmine what they are really selling for. Be very, very careful buying used equipment. New is best due to warranty but, if bought right used is OK too. Fall and Winter is the best time to buy. Spring is the best time to sell because everybody is at least looking.