Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

$18.95 per Mow?!!

So a new "company" in town plastered the city with hangers advertising 18.95 per service and $59 cleanups! It would be impossible to make money at these prices unless you had at least the entire block.

As much as I tell myself: "Self, don't let this get to you, focus on our quality of service and experience." It still gets to me. I have already had calls from clients about it.

Thinking about answering with a campaign of our own.

Anyone else combating this kind of crap?
Old 04-08-2011, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ha HA I just laugh and wait until later in the season when the calls flood in because A. The lawn looks like crap. B. they quit showing up. or C. they don't trim or blow.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

sub them out on all your lawns lol
Old 04-08-2011, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a customer with 7/8 of an acre lawn who stuck a flier in my face and said this guy will cut my grass for $35.00. My reply to her was get him, and when he goes back to school call me, maybe I'll be able to squeeze you back in, but you can rest assured the rate will be higher than the $55.00 your paying me now. Guess what, I'm still mowing that property today.

Don't let that Crap get next to you, if they jump ship, look at it as a blessing, because obviously they're ******' bags.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Matt went for an estimate today. Lady says, "but I'm paying $20 a cut." Matt says, "well then, that sounds good, just stick with your guy." She says, "but he went out of business." Matt says, "you think? you see the price of gas? he wouldn't have made any money on this lawn". She says, "well ok, come by next month and cut it one time." (i kid you not) - - some people are just cheap, some people just don't have a lot of money to pay for lawn service, some people just don't care what their grass looks like..... so they will hire that person that is doing it for a real low price. These aren't the people you want to market to anyways, so don't even worry about it.
We work for doctors, owners of car dealerships, engineers, and a lot of retired folks that had good jobs when they were working. These are the types of people, in our experience, that are the ones that aren't looking for solely on price. They are looking for a good dependable service. And they won't be calling the $18.95 mow and blow guy.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I got a flyer in my neighbohood that showed $17 biweekly. (mow edge trim blow)
Echo GT-200R trimmer
Husky Blower
Tanaka TPE-250 edger
Old 04-08-2011, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's like the Seinfeld episode where George says to Jerry "but those are men with jobs in there!!" Don't worry about it...they're more afraid of what you're doing than you should be of them. Usually when you lose somebody, another great one comes along to replace them.

Ford F150 XL Truck
6 x 10 Trailrite Trailer w/ramp
ExMark Phazer 34" laser 2006 mower
Big Dog C142 2011 mower
Wright Grass Gobbler
RedMax BCZ2401S Trimmer
Stihl FS-55-T Trimmer
Husqvarna 570BTS Backpack blower
Husqvarna 445 Chain Saw
Redmax HB280 hand held blower
Echo HC-150 gas hedge trimmer
Jungle Jack
Arien's dual stage 625E snowthrower

Old 04-08-2011, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

So at 18.95 per cut I would have to mow more than 20 lawns a day to make what I do on less than half that amount!
Old 04-08-2011, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Member

This industry is full of fools!LMMFAO!!!
Old 04-08-2011, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

And we wonder why people don't respectour profession. !8.95 is called retailing. Have you ever really looked around at half the people at Wal Mart ? Really ? Those people are caught up in the cheap is best mode. That is OK with me as I really don't want to deal with that kind of customer. Ever see many happy clerks at Wal Mart and wonder why? Lower your prices and you can be just like the clerks. That customer if focused on price and price alone Those LCO's usually make it 4-8 weeks with their old run down pick up trucks and cheap lawn tractors. By the time they realize that they can't make it,well by then it's too late. They come and go every year and this year will be no exception to the rule. Focus on what you do and do best. Stick to your guns, don't let it get you down. Let them sell the snake oil at a cheap price. We sell service not lawns done cheap. I'll continue to do what I do best and hope the rest of you do too. Don't make fun of them, they just don't know or understand. Lean them towards this sight if you can. They need educated. To them it's all profit. Enjoy the ride.
Closed Thread