Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2011, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Fla House Bill CS/HS Fertilizer.

This bill is in the works and has not passed YET. LS Members in Sarasota and Pinellas counties should especially be interested in this bill because it greatly effects their Granola Fertilizer Laws that all the Fruits and Nuts in those area have made.

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sectio...7&Session=2011

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I heard a commercial the other day in Marion County FL that any LCO that puts down Fert must have the BMP training, and that all home owners hiring them need to check to make sure they have the license. The commercial almost sounded like the state is actually going to enforce these rules.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnagain View Post
I heard a commercial the other day in Marion County FL that any LCO that puts down Fert must have the BMP training, and that all home owners hiring them need to check to make sure they have the license. The commercial almost sounded like the state is actually going to enforce these rules.
John

Fat Chance of that happening. But I give up on trying to embarrass the State into enforcing the Laws. I learned if you ask the state to enforce the rules they only make it harder on the Legal Guys. Our New Governor said he was going to promote small Business. So he has promoted more Inspections and stiffer fines raised requirement, Paper work and costs in general. Our Pesticide Trucks are now Targeted by the DOT as well as the BEPC(Ag Inspector). But the Illegal who doesn't have a Commercial sign on there truck skate free.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 04-14-2011, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just got my certificate of completion of my GI BMP class today. I took the class March 3rd and have been stopped by Pinellas County employees 3 times checking for my certificate since taking the class. They have all been pleasant, but becoming a PITA being stopped and checked while trying to finish my work. It should not take almost 6 weeks to find out if you passed.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I finally took the LCLM exam last week and was told it would be 8 to 10 weeks before I found out the results!
34" Exmark Phazer
21" Troy Bilt
Shindaiwa Trimmer T242 (x2)
Shindaiwa Edger LE 242
Shindaiwa Articulated Hedge Trimmer AHS231 (x2)
Shindaiwa EB802 Blower (x2)
Old 04-16-2011, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGL View Post
I finally took the LCLM exam last week and was told it would be 8 to 10 weeks before I found out the results!
LGL

That is a normal wait time for that test. I hold Chapter 487 licenses that deal mostly with Agriculture. Rather than take all those CEU I just retest every 4 years as 487 licenses are 4 year licenses. My wait time is about the same 8 to 10 weeks. However in my case I can take these test up to one year before I renew my licenses. Waiting is never an issue of not having a license if I time it correctly.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Member

The fertilizer bills - CS/HB 457, if they're passed are intended to prohibit a patchwork of local regulations. Otherwise you'll end up with multiple sets of ordinances - all slightly different, within one county. How these laws are enforced remains to be seen. Since the BMP program is under DACS (Dept of Ag & Consumer Services) I would assume the existing DACS inspectors would be responsible.

I expect Manatee County will pass an ordinance before the June 1 deadline. It's likely to look a lot like the ordinances in Pinellas & Sarasota.
Blog: http://prohortmanatee.wordpress.com/
Email: dkp205 (at) ufl.edu
Old 04-25-2011, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProHortM View Post
The fertilizer bills - CS/HB 457, if they're passed are intended to prohibit a patchwork of local regulations. Otherwise you'll end up with multiple sets of ordinances - all slightly different, within one county. How these laws are enforced remains to be seen. Since the BMP program is under DACS (Dept of Ag & Consumer Services) I would assume the existing DACS inspectors would be responsible.

I expect Manatee County will pass an ordinance before the June 1 deadline. It's likely to look a lot like the ordinances in Pinellas & Sarasota.
Dave

I am sure you read the report put out by U of F stating how wrong the Local Tree Hugger Ordinances are.

If you or any one thinks Mark Shelby can enforce more laws and areas than he already does, you are all sadly mistaken. Unfortunate Mark already has more than he can handle and while he tries hard he can scratch the surface of Illegal applicators.

I was all for the new state Fertilizer Law until decided to Grandfather in the Granola Nuts.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree. Many people are ignoring the science. But does it matter much? Most pros I know wouldn't think of fertilizing much in the summer. The grass grows too fast without it. Iron will make it green without adding to the growth.

I just said DACS (Mark in Sarasota, etc) would be responsible. From what Mark says, he gets specific marching orders from the DACS bosses in Tallahassee. They give him goals on a monthly(?) basis. He has to try to meet those goals. I suspect that after 2014 the goals he will be given will include checking x number of professionals - landscape and pest control - for BMP violators. Who is Ann Madison? I'm new in the county.
Blog: http://prohortmanatee.wordpress.com/
Email: dkp205 (at) ufl.edu
Old 04-25-2011, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProHortM View Post
I agree. Many people are ignoring the science. But does it matter much? Most pros I know wouldn't think of fertilizing much in the summer. The grass grows too fast without it. Iron will make it green without adding to the growth.

I just said DACS (Mark in Sarasota, etc) would be responsible. From what Mark says, he gets specific marching orders from the DACS bosses in Tallahassee. They give him goals on a monthly(?) basis. He has to try to meet those goals. I suspect that after 2014 the goals he will be given will include checking x number of professionals - landscape and pest control - for BMP violators. Who is Ann Madison? I'm new in the county.
Dave

You must Not know any Professional CPO because before the Fert Law most all Lawn Care companies were applying Fertilizer in the rainy Season. Sorry but your tree hugging philosophy might do better in the Orgasmic Forum here at Lawnsite. BTW A few of us have degrees from U of F and many years in the business also.

I have no problem with Mark Shelby he is a very down to earth guy and was extremely reasonable when he inspected me. But his job is thankless with way too much area to cover and not enough teeth in the law to let him do the job correctly. The day he inspected me I can guarantee he drove past 20 illegal applicators only to give me a clean bill on my inspections. But such is the Bureaucratic system.

Ann Madison is a name you should of heard of and trust me you will hear from at some point now that you moved a little farther South. She is the Head Granola Nut and is very active in giving everyone a Hard time. Any one wanting to apply Pesticide with in 1/2 mile radius of 2290 Clematis St Sarasota must first Notify Ann Madison. That right a 1/2 mile radius.