Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2011, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Honda 21 hrr 216

So i bought one of these self propelled mowers for 50 bucks. not a bad deal i suppose. I need the bagger, air filter cover, new air filter, and i have to inspect the self propelled motor. My question is, Are these good mowers? I like the fact that this mower has 4 blades on it. how does it cut compared to traditional walker 21? Thanks for the input!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

hondas are the best pushmowers made
Old 04-12-2011, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Member

thats what i hear but ive heard that the self propelled motor shits the bed often.?? My model is a hrr2163vxa. I guess this is a 600 dollar mower?
Old 04-12-2011, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Honda used to get their Transmissions from an unknown vendor and those were not built too well. The NEW models have a higher quality transmission and rarely has issues! The newer style transmissions started about 2-3 years ago. Hope this helps!
Old 04-12-2011, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Member

sh*t that probably means mine has has the crap tranny. Mines prob 5-6 years old. it doesn't have the yellow button for the blade engagement it has the yellow lever, if that sums up the age..?
Old 04-12-2011, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhead19@aol.com View Post
sh*t that probably means mine has has the crap tranny. Mines prob 5-6 years old. it doesn't have the yellow button for the blade engagement it has the yellow lever, if that sums up the age..?
The new button style started about 2yrs ago so your model could be 2yrs and prior its hard to tell exactly. Honda still makes the lever style "Roto-Stop" on some HRR/HRX models. You can always call Honda and give your serial number and they can tell you how old. If it was even 2-5 years old I would be suprised if the transmission went, but you never know anymore.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Are these good mowers? I like the fact that this mower has 4 blades on it. how does it cut compared to traditional walker 21? Thanks for the input!
Very Good Mower (except for the trans) with a very strong running engine. I personally love the quadra cut system those two offset blades cut the grass down very fine (great for mulching), this allows the grass to decompose quicker. Its also great for bagging, smaller clippings means more grass fits in the bag which means I dont have to empty the bag as often. Good buy even if the trans is toast. Pull the gears for less drag and use it as a push mower. Even the base model Hondas that are push are close to $400!
Old 04-12-2011, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Who cares about the trans, the mower's light enough if the self-propel craps out I just push it,
my worst aggravation is the height adjustments like to pop out of place while I'm mowing,
so much so I've considered tack-welding the things fixed.

The cut's all right and it might cut better at lower settings but I like mine high as she'll go but wow does it mulch leaves!

I like the double blades myself only because of how well this particular brand apparently does with it,
but they are a bit flimsy... Oddly but nicely enough they didn't lose much sharpness even after heavy leaf grinding,
apparently I could probably go 20 lawns between sharpenings easy, maybe more, I don't know.
I really like the auto-choke, that is the cat's ass.

Last edited by topsites; 04-12-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah i totally agree with the auto choke. im gonna pull the whole gear box out for the self propel to loosen it up/ shave some weight off. I also need a new bag for it. Where can i buy one of them?
Old 04-13-2011, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I also need a new bag for it. Where can i buy one of them?
Any Honda outdoor power equipment dealer, if they dont have it they can get it and any other parts you might need. Also there is eBay, but I would recommend the dealer over any internet site. Heads up the fabric bag runs about $36 and the bag frame around $40. Good luck!