Old 05-05-2015, 05:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Backpack drip-Fix

Bought an Oregon at a good price thinking it was comparable to the Jatco I have which I am happy with. I always put a check valve strainer in my backpacks to help with dripping which seems to work with all I have except this Oregon. I've tried switching all the wands from various sources but it seems the issue is the backpack itself. Does anyone have any suggestions?

On a side note the Oregon is similar to the Jatco but there are minor quality differences that make the Jatco better. If I had to do it again I would just go with the Jatco. As the saying goes you get what you pay for.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Where is the drip?
Do you mean it drips from the nozzle between weeds?

Maybe the check valve is causing the problem.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd take the nozzle off, and while testing with water, see if the the hand valve is leaking. It may need to be re-built, or perhaps just have the seats cleaned (and a little silicone grease applied to the o-rings).

Same thing goes for the check-valve.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Where is the drip?
Do you mean it drips from the nozzle between weeds?
Yes, the nozzle doesn't shut off quickly, it dribbles a little if you know what I mean. I eventually shuts off it just takes a second.

Maybe the check valve is causing the problem.
Nope, the same wands on different backpacks shuts off fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
I'd take the nozzle off, and while testing with water, see if the the hand valve is leaking. It may need to be re-built, or perhaps just have the seats cleaned (and a little silicone grease applied to the o-rings).

I know what you're saying but it's not the wand since I've swapped different ones from backpacks, they only are slow to shut off on this one sprayer.

The thing is the handle/wand controls the flow but all the different ones only are slow to shut off on this one backpack. I understand the mechanics of how it all works but can't figure this one out.

Same thing goes for the check-valve.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good point, Ritman.
I had a similar problem while using a backpack as a volunteer at a horticultural garden. It may have been the cold weather effect on the o-rings in the valve. And it was probably dirty and gummy from not being cleaned last fall.
I unscrewed the valve cap and pushed out the valve stem. I lubricated the o-rings. Then it worked fine.

Is it cold where you are? If lube doesn't help--try using warm water.

Is the sprayer contaminated with residue from last year? If you are using a wettable powder or flowable crabgrass control, the product might be difficult to spray with a back pack.