Register free!

Old 11-02-2014, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Need some advice on my turf care setup.

i am using a 1/2 ton truck (gotta get through one more season with it atleast), 100 gallon skid in the bed. 5x10 trailer with 50 gallon skid in the nose. my zspray fits perfectly behind the 5x10 but not much else will fit (no room for fert). The dry fert i typically put in the truck bed during the summer rounds i'd like to be able to put on the trailer instead so I'm wondering if the weight of a 6x12 with dual axel would be adding alot of weight compared to the 5x10? Keep in mind I'm not looking to be able to hold more weight overall (i know i'm about pushing it already), i'm looking to be able to transfer some of the dry fert i'd carry on my truck to a spot on the trailer so i could have my mosquito mister and tool box with some of my chems in the back of the truck.. and i'd like to fit my 50# lesco spreader in there somewhers on the trailer as well.

I didn't turn up any good info on google about trailer weight, so i figured i'd ask you guys. I never felt the need for a bigger trailer before because i never planned to do much mowing for long.. but never thought i'd get a zspray intermediate, and it takes up a ton of room on a trailer, so i'm gonna have to get a bigger one eventually.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

The trailer weight difference would only be about 500lbs max. A 6x12 dual axel trailer with a 2 5/16 ball has a gvwr of 7000lbs. The trailer weight it self is appr 1500lbs. So you have about 5500lbs of cargo weight you can put on trailer. Be sure to get both axels with trailer brakes. Your 1500 truck would ride much better with this set up and you still wouldnt be maxed out on your vehicle towing rate. Your truck would be happy you did this actually.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-02-2014, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I pulled a 16x6 dual axle for two years with my old 1500. It wasn't fast going up hills but it didn't have a problem pulling it. That was with about 2000lbs on board.

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lots of us have struggled with lack of space to carry stuff on the truck. Keep trying-you will find a way to get everything on board. I found I could carry 6 to8 bags of fert in the cab passenger seat--and it never got wet during rain. You may wish to carry an organ grinder type spreader for small jobs. Chain and lock it to your sprayer tank somewhere. Mosquito unit--shift your 100 gal sprayer tank left or right to make more room in the bed--slightly off center--so what?
Fert bags--place two layers laid flat. THEN--stand bags up on top of the flat bags. Be sure nothing can fall off--use a tie down strap to be sure.
Myself I had to shift my reel, motor and pump to the left to make room for my spreader. When I use my Permagreen--I added a cheap plastic spreader chained on top somewhere--it only weighed about 5 pounds--needed for a few small areas and steep banks.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 11-02-2014 at 10:48 AM. Reason: ps
Old 11-02-2014, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

well, i should be able to fit all my fert behind the skid on the trailer, then the zspray will fit.. it will be fine. can't fit my spreader though... however... i could put the spreader in the back of the truck with my mosquito mister and tool box and chest spreader. Is there some kinda mount they make to quickly secure a spreader in a truck bed? I used to do this all the time with bungees,, but it gets to be a hassle. I want to be able to load and unload quickly without wasting to much time.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.minnesotawanner.com/STAIN.../133ssph-1.htm

need to find something that. its currently unavailable from minnesotawanner.com
Old 11-02-2014, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My set up had my spreader on the truck bed in the back left corner. I had a short chain(3 links) bolted there. It had a strong dog-leash snap on the chain. I had a stainless steel eyebolt which replaced one of the spreader handle bolts. I hooked the snap through the eyebolt. A padlock hung nearby; it was used to keep the spreader safe when out of sight of my truck.
Naturally, a slightly longer chain could go completely around the nearest frame tube and snap back into the chain. No eyebolt needed. The chain needs to be short enough so that the spreader cannot move forward, back or sideways, nor tip over, once the tailgate is closed.

Naturally, space is sometimes very tight. A smaller spreader--like the 50 pound Earthway CS22 stainless steel is easier to fit. Most of us never use more than one bag at a time anyway.

Click my name and view my pictures. If you enlarge the picture by clicking on it (0049) --you can just barely see the eyebolt on the left side of my spreader. Sold it 2 years ago. You can barely see where I carried and retained my spreader in one of the pictures.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 11-02-2014 at 09:29 PM. Reason: ps