Register free!

Old 05-28-2014, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Walking boom

Right now I use a lesco chemlawn gun. I've heard that some people rather hold a boom in front of them rather than swinging their fist back and forth all day.

Wondering what kind of nozzles you use on your handheld booms? I like the big droplet size the chemlawn uses. I was wondering if I could use two or three Chemgun nozzles attached to a boom with just the gun at the top feeding the boom. It would kind of like holding two guns instead of swinging one back and forth.

I don't know what kind of threads those nozzles have.

I would want to use the boom to spray both fertilizer and herbicide.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-28-2014, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS1190 View Post
Right now I use a lesco chemlawn gun. I've heard that some people rather hold a boom in front of them rather than swinging their fist back and forth all day.

Wondering what kind of nozzles you use on your handheld booms? I like the big droplet size the chemlawn uses. I was wondering if I could use two or three Chemgun nozzles attached to a boom with just the gun at the top feeding the boom. It would kind of like holding two guns instead of swinging one back and forth.

Any thoughts?
Do a search on walking boom. I don't use one but you would prob want to use different nozzles & amounts of water for fert vs herb.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

Any thoughts?
Back when I drag a hose I made a 3ft hand boom I used fan tips I blanket spray I don't like the droplets tips
Thank god I don't walk no more I ride
Old 05-29-2014, 03:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Any thoughts?
I am one that prefers the hand held boom. Mine is set up with a secondary regulator right before the trigger and wand. Why? Nozzles on a boom are operated at a set pressure, not a guesstimate of what the gauge on the pump says vs how long your hose is. No need to stick nozzles in a bucket to measure unless checking for nozzle wear. There is no problem using the boom to apply either fertilizers or herbicides. I use TeeJet AI 110 nozzles for herbicides. At 40-75 PSI, the spray pattern is rather coarse and directed. Your volume is determined by nozzle size. I like to calibrate based on walking 2 MPH. That is a pace that can be kept up all day long and in tight areas. For fertilizers, I switch to ceramic disc-core solid cone nozzles for more volume. You do not ever use these for herbicides because these do produce some fine droplets.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-29-2014, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Confirming Greendoctor's walking boom. There isn't any guess work to coverage or around trees or misdirecting spray. Great for controlling drift. With a good pump and switching tips for different applications, work is quick and efficient.
Building a boom that covers 5' at a swatch and walking 100' and back makes calibrating a breeze.
R
Old 05-29-2014, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

With a walking boom, you cannot really use Chemlawn nozzles--if you had three of them the pressure would be too low to put out a good pattern--in my opinion. Three 3 gal per min nozzles would need 9 gal per min coming out of the hose.

The threads are GHT--Garden Hose Thread--or very close to that standard. Its about 3/4 inch.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 05-29-2014 at 01:43 PM. Reason: ps
Old 05-04-2015, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
I am one that prefers the hand held boom. Mine is set up with a secondary regulator right before the trigger and wand. Why? Nozzles on a boom are operated at a set pressure, not a guesstimate of what the gauge on the pump says vs how long your hose is. No need to stick nozzles in a bucket to measure unless checking for nozzle wear. There is no problem using the boom to apply either fertilizers or herbicides. I use TeeJet AI 110 nozzles for herbicides. At 40-75 PSI, the spray pattern is rather coarse and directed. Your volume is determined by nozzle size. I like to calibrate based on walking 2 MPH. That is a pace that can be kept up all day long and in tight areas. For fertilizers, I switch to ceramic disc-core solid cone nozzles for more volume. You do not ever use these for herbicides because these do produce some fine droplets.
Greendoctor: could you by chance send me some pictures of your walking boom? I am going to build one, I'd just like to see what others have come up with
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2015, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cframee View Post
Greendoctor: could you by chance send me some pictures of your walking boom? I am going to build one, I'd just like to see what others have come up with
Posted via Mobile Device
no others have come up with anything, we all copied greeendoctors design. If you want a walking boom you should too. I use my skid too spray fert and insecticides then custom mix herbicides and fungicides as needed for each lawn and apply with the Maryuama engine drive back pack and greendoc boom. I love it.

"When you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can always count on Paul's vote"