Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-14-2013, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks for the update. I had one of the OLD MOLD good ones plus the newer POS garbage ones. Found a guy on Craiglist who was selling one of his extras. Talked him out of his other one even that was missing the material agitater and had a warped throw plate. This one will be used for spare parts. Paid him $5 for both the working one and the spare for parts. Almost felt bad I gave him my new mold one as a thank you....plus I gave him and extra $5.

Pulled the bottom 3 screw on my working ones and lubing up the gears and wear point with CLP gun lube and cleaner. Makes them crank even better. Less stoppage and smoother operation.

Don't remember if the new ones even come apart....? What a piece of trash those new ones are. Who made the decision to go to an clearly inferior design in function and rigidity....? What happened to product testing?

Now I'm wondering if there are none wrist support Old mold ones floating around...?

I also have an old red Ortho Whirlybird.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Exact Rototilling; 10-14-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What I like to do with my Scotts handheld to improve agitator is to pop off the small orange one (It lifts right off) and drill and ~1/8 hole through it horizontally and cut a small stainless nail to like 1" long and put it though the hole, it really helps. Without this I would find sometimes I wouldn't be feeding and I would need to shake it a bit. Mine is old style Scotts.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frotis View Post
What I like to do with my Scotts handheld to improve agitator is to pop off the small orange one (It lifts right off) and drill and ~1/8 hole through it horizontally and cut a small stainless nail to like 1" long and put it though the hole, it really helps. Without this I would find sometimes I wouldn't be feeding and I would need to shake it a bit. Mine is old style Scotts.
Good tip. Just a bit chicken to fiddle or mess mine up since they are not easy to find.

The orange agitator is a bit different on the two functional ones I have.

BTW the work guts on these OTHER OLD MOLD Scott's spreaders seems to be the same. (3) screws on the bottom. These ones are lacking the arm support.
Attached Images

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If Earthway or some other Co. is watching this thread....um they could just acquire to old mold rights and have a simple option of an agitator swap out depending on what type of material is being used. Not much point in redesigning a proven design.

The parts spare I acquired had some badly corroded screws. Just have them stainless steel from the get go....zero corrosion issues.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I emailed Jeff last week to see how things were looking. The new push spreader they were working on is completed. Hopefully some of you in dire need of a hand spreader used the info I posted on how to find used units. I have six units on my shelf so I'm not looking for any more.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 12-15-2013, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks for the update. I hit thrift stores when I drive by and think about it. I scored a non-wrist support one for $1.50 at St. Vinney's awhile back. Even had the instruction card on it. I have 2 Spreader II's and 1 Spreader I and another Spreader II for some parts.

It would be easier for whoever to just buy the old Scott's mold and rebadge it and possibly put a better agitator on it. Problem solved and works great.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2013, 02:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
I emailed Jeff last week to see how things were looking. The new push spreader they were working on is completed. Hopefully some of you in dire need of a hand spreader used the info I posted on how to find used units. I have six units on my shelf so I'm not looking for any more.
Finally saw your post... You want to sell one those 6?? Thought I'd try...
Old 02-04-2014, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Bump for a good thread. Still not sure why Earthway or another established Co. won't buy the old mold get on with it already.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2014, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Jeff at Earthway has his commercial oriented hand spreader they are finally supposed to be working on more now that their new push spreader has been released. I would plan on a $50 or so hand spreader. Hopefully Jeff will keep us advised. I'm not expecting anything until the end of the year as the best case scenario.

Has anybody used the link I provided to search local ads for older Scotts hand spreaders. It takes some effort but the Holy Grail link is how I got my six hand spreaders. Because of all the Craigslist type scams it's not easy to get people to sell hand spreaders to a stranger over the phone who claims he will pay 2-3 times the asking price.

I talked to a guy in China and the expensive part is making the molds. I think it was going to be at least $5000 to get molds made.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 05-06-2014, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have the Earthway FS 80S http://www.earthway.com/product/F80S...-Spreader.ashx that I will have on long term demo use from Earthway. They are out of the demo phase so don't bother asking for one. The spreader just showed up and is not out of the box yet but I can already see a few new things that I like.

I will post more feedback on here as I get some use out of it. The hand spreader R&D is still alive but don't hold your breath for anything in 2014 is my advice. It is coming but just not super fast.

If you guys are in a bind you need to use this link http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...&postcount=150 to my post about how I managed to find and purchase six older units in great shape. I had to put a lot of effort into getting people to send me their units and pay a premium but it was worth it. I paid on average $45 for hand spreader to be shipped to me that people were trying to sell for $10 most of the time. I wouldn't sell any of my units for less then $145.

Most people are worried about getting scammed some how and won't sell you their units to be mailed. I offered to do Pay Pay or told them don't ship until me check clears so you are at no risk. You have to work it but it can be done.