Register free!

Old 05-27-2011, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes, we are going to test the gears with a new composite material that I think looks very promising. I'll update this thread when I get some results. Jeff
Old 05-27-2011, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

please do, we and tons of pros await decent tools
Old 05-27-2011, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Please do not limit it to a 3 foot spread width.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks. Sounds promising JK Earthway. Also please take a look at the thread I started about what professionals would like in a full-size 50 pound push spreader. Huge wish list--but some of the features would be easy to add. Competitive spreaders with fewer features cost almost $500. Should be light weight so it can be easily lifted onto 36 inch high truck(even if partially full of fertilizer). Gears should have 5 year guarantee.
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=349682&page=2
Old 05-29-2011, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Thanks. Sounds promising JK Earthway. Also please take a look at the thread I started about what professionals would like in a full-size 50 pound push spreader. Huge wish list--but some of the features would be easy to add. Competitive spreaders with fewer features cost almost $500. Should be light weight so it can be easily lifted onto 36 inch high truck(even if partially full of fertilizer). Gears should have 5 year guarantee.
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=349682&page=2

I have two of the Earthway C22SS spreaders and they work great. The C22SS is probably the lightest and most easy to use stainless steel commercial spreader you can buy. The parts support is great. They have given me several small parts for free.

I just looked and the C22SS is now a C22HDS. If you go to Outsidepride.com they sell it for $319.99 which is below the list price of about $465. I have purchased at least one of my spreaders from Outsidepride.com. Do not forget to buy a rain cover and side deflectors.

I removed the front deflector on my spreaders and used Velcro to better secure my side deflectors to the hopper bin. I was having problems with my deflectors flopping down occasionally. I liked the older side deflectors much better that Earthway made but they discontinued them. The older style traditional deflectors were cracking after about three years which may have been why they were discontinued. Jeff is your listening I sure would like to have the old style deflectors back again. I assuming it was a plastics issue that led to the change in style.

I also noticed the replacement agitator pins I had ordered last time were half as sturdy as the pins the spreader had originally come with. I couldn't find pins at Home Depot but I finally found some at a large local nut, bolt, and fastener supplier. You may not be aware of the cotter pin issue Jeff.

I have no idea why anyone would want one of those over sized square spreaders. I had a LESCO and it just about killed you to have to empty the thing out a bunch of times during the day. The LESCO has a faulty agitator design that caused me to write the corporate office a letter and get my money back. There is a thin cheap piece of aluminum that is supposed to drive the agitator but it bends instead and stops working and your flow of fertilizer become inconsistent.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Jeff of Earthway,
Its small--C22HDS looks a little like a toy, but if it actually holds 50 pounds, that works out nice. Less weight--easier (than your competitors) to push and load.
http://www.outsidepride.com/spreader...-spreader.html
Perhaps a few pounds extra capacity (60 pounds) would be helpful. The spreader is never fully empty when you get back to the truck and have to add another bag. I would appreciate handles on the left side so it can be lifted into a truck without straining my back. And with handles, it should be easy to pour excess material back into a bag. What does it weigh? I understand competitive products Lesco and Scotts weigh about 35 pounds.
How many pounds effort does it take to push it when full loaded? Is it balanced? How many pounds effort does it take to lift the handle when fully loaded?
Will it fit in the front seat if it rains? Fit in front seat upside down for theft protection when I am eating lunch at a restaruant? Rain cover needs to be hurricane proof.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Thanks Jeff of Earthway,
Its small--C22HDS looks a little like a toy, but if it actually holds 50 pounds, that works out nice. Less weight--easier (than your competitors) to push and load.
http://www.outsidepride.com/spreader...-spreader.html
Perhaps a few pounds extra capacity (60 pounds) would be helpful. The spreader is never fully empty when you get back to the truck and have to add another bag. I would appreciate handles on the left side so it can be lifted into a truck without straining my back. And with handles, it should be easy to pour excess material back into a bag. What does it weigh? I understand competitive products Lesco and Scotts weigh about 35 pounds.
How many pounds effort does it take to push it when full loaded? Is it balanced? How many pounds effort does it take to lift the handle when fully loaded?
Will it fit in the front seat if it rains? Fit in front seat upside down for theft protection when I am eating lunch at a restaruant? Rain cover needs to be hurricane proof.
I may have confused you by putting a few notes in the posting for Jeff at Earthway to see. The posting is from me Plantscape Solutions.

The spreader works great. Here's a bit of advice for you. Keep extra 5 gallon buckets for storing extra fertilize in the truck bed. It's a lot easier to dump into a bucket then a bag that can fold over when your trying to dump into it.

The empty spreader probably weighs half of what a LESCO spreader weighs. You don't need any handles for lifting. I hate lifting so I always use a trailer for spreading fertilizer. Time is money and using a trailer is faster. The trailer is a lot less stress on your back.

Keep a pair of Kryptonite cable locks in your truck. you can lock the spreader into the stake pockets on both sides of your truck bed. Trying to put a spreader inside of a truck would be a real pain in the azz.

If you have minor amounts of fertilizer in the spreader just leave it there. The rain cover will keep it from blowing out of the spreader when your driving down the road. They also keep the fert in the spreader if the spreader tips over in you truck or trailer. We use a strap to hold the spreaders in place but every once in a while things get crazy and a spreader ends up flopped over. Rain caps are great for every day use.

As for your other questions I think your going off the deep end a little too far. Trust me it's the easiest to use and cheapest commercial stainless steel spreader you can buy. At $320 from Outsidepride.com you'll be an Earthway fan in no time.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthWayJK View Post
Yes, we are going to test the gears with a new composite material that I think looks very promising. I'll update this thread when I get some results. Jeff
Any progress Jeff?
Old 06-22-2011, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Jeff,
Good ideas Plantscape. Jeff, I hope to see your new spreader with the 5 year guarantee on the gears--beeffier gears would be nice. Push spreaders should have an eyebolt in the handle (like my home modification), to fit a padlock and chain. During short hops I always used to retain my spreader with a short chain from the stake pocket on my truck with a heavy duty "dog leash snap". I kept the chain short so my spreader could never fall over. Its a lot to ask, but could you provide an optional squirt bottle holster inside the hopper. I always liked to carry a one qt hand sprayer for occasional weeds. And could the edge deflector cause a tiny bell or noise maker to ring? I hate when I forget and leave it down--makes really ugly green stripes. Looks like Shindaiwa will be easy to beat--see Americanlawn's post.

I hope to see you at the next big turfgrass conference and show. May I suggest you hire a really attractive spokesmodel with great legs? (Tough job, I know). She can sit in the hopper while lawn techs push her around the floor--just to demonstrate how strong your new spreader is built.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Any word on progress?

OK...I need a hand spreader.....NOW. Count me in with the others who would pay a fair price for a premium tool. In the meantime, I need to buy one, tomorrow (or Sunday).

Is the little, plastic Earthway the way to go (the one photo'd in this thread)?

Thanks.