Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-15-2011, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vencops View Post
Any word on progress?

OK...I need a hand spreader.....NOW. Count me in with the others who would pay a fair price for a premium tool. In the meantime, I need to buy one, tomorrow (or Sunday).

Is the little, plastic Earthway the way to go (the one photo'd in this thread)?

Thanks.
Its as good as any other. I just bought one because I took apart, cleaned and lubricated 2 of the 3 Scotts versions I have and the one I was using after the clean up was "toast" by the end of the first day out. That makes 4 I've purchased this year alone and I'm only 2/3 through my dry rounds. The Earthway does not throw as wide as the Scotts but will last as long (or as little,however you'd like to look at it) as any other. IMO, as it stands right now, they all SUCK for use by a professional.....
Old 07-15-2011, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vencops View Post
Any word on progress?

OK...I need a hand spreader.....NOW. Count me in with the others who would pay a fair price for a premium tool. In the meantime, I need to buy one, tomorrow (or Sunday).

Is the little, plastic Earthway the way to go (the one photo'd in this thread)?

Thanks.
The Scotts handygreen 2 is the only short term solution right now. You will need to trim off the agitator. If the agitator is not trimmed off the gears will be ruined quickly by spreading even moderately heavy material.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
The Scotts handygreen 2 is the only short term solution right now. You will need to trim off the agitator. If the agitator is not trimmed off the gears will be ruined quickly by spreading even moderately heavy material.

......and that must be why mine have only lasted about a month each.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bump.

Jeff, any headway?
Old 12-12-2011, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not to hijack my own thread but another thing on my Earthway wish list is an improved deflector kit for the C22SS/C22HDS. The older style deflector kits (left/right) were better but they tended to crack along the shaft they were mounted to after 1-2 years.

I removed the front flap on the current kit but had to Velcro the flaps to the bin so they don't occasionally fall down and screw up my application. I think you'll find guys don't ever need just one flap down on the deflectors. It's always both for median type applications. With the fancy optional controller having a lever for putting down both flaps would be great. It would make it easier to justify the extra cost.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 03-08-2012, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bump. Come on, Earthway.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2012, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Can you send me some photos of this issue so I can get it re-engineered?
Thanks
Jeff
jkendall@earthway.com
Old 03-08-2012, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrashears View Post
Bump.

Jeff, any headway?
Yes, it is moving forward, but it's a numbers game with product development. So far the commercial hander spreader is in second place for investment.
JK
Old 03-08-2012, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You may be aware Jeff that Spyker come out with a new hand spreader that some Lawnsite members are testing right now. Here is the spreader http://www.spyker.com/handheld_hhs100.html. It lacks any wrist support that is great for extended use but it appears to be now the only hand spreader on the market that is not a POS.

I had bugged Spyker as well as other companies about the void in the market trying to get someone to help us applicators. I'm not sure if my repeated emails helped or not but a new decent spreader has materialized.

It sure would be nice Jeff if you had a spreader ready to go for when the Scoots loop patent expires. With the progress made thus far I suspect if nothing is done until the patent expires we may all be old and gray before we see a decent Earthway hand held spreader. Then we will need a hand held spreader that comes with a wheel chair or walker attachment so us old poops can get around the yard to use it.

If you do get this ball rolling you need to market the spreader through pest control, fertilizer wholesale distributors, and landscaper supply type places like AM Leonard. Home owners in general will not know the difference between a POS and a great hand help and cost will be the deciding factor most of the time.

For the pest control and licensed pesticide applicators like myself it's all about dependability. There is a billion dollar trade that nobody seems to have the vision to service.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 03-08-2012, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i have to get in on this will after work today