Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2012, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Well then, it sounds like our choices are The spyker, scotts or earthways. I have seen a pennington before but it was worse than the rest.

I guess we'll see how these work. I've never seen one like you've got at my Lesco/JDL branch but the only difference in yours and the 2 I have is the color...and maybe the price since if you never used yours, you'd probably have a "collector item".

Problem is, they make these things for MawMaw to spread "triple 13" on her flower garden...they don't make them for us.
I used it Friday. It works good, other than a small
spread pattern
Old 03-13-2012, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I got my Spyker today. I have not tried it yet but just from putting some resistance on the gears with my fingers I can tell it's better then the Scotts. Here is my complaint.

The trigger is designed for a toddler. Half of my finger fits on the trigger which is going to cause fatigue pretty quickly. When I pull the trigger the center of my finger ends up being on the on the point of the trigger. To make matters worse the spring pull is pretty firm.

Are you listening Jeff? Spyker doesn't test their new products very well because the trigger issue is apparent the second you pick it up. Help me Jeff!

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 03-13-2012, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Member

OK, "man-sized" tirgger.... check!
Jeff
Old 03-13-2012, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

trigger too!
Jeff
Old 03-13-2012, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthWayJK View Post
trigger too!
Jeff
I hate the fact that Lawnsite gives you a short period of time to edit goof ups. I think Spyker did a good thing putting in a firm spring because on the Scott's the door would easily stick open. But they goofed in having a trigger half of a finger fits on. A trigger that allows for a few fingers makes a day of application work much easier.

A palm style trigger you pull with all your fingers would be even better but a little more design work may be required to prevent binding. You'd probably need an internal spring on the top and bottom of the trigger to achieve an even pull and prevent binding.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 03-13-2012, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

How many hours per day do you estimate that you would use the hand spreader? How fine an adjustment for the rates is required? What I mean - does the trigger need to be repeatable - a specific number/letter for an opening size.
JK
Old 03-13-2012, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthWayJK View Post
How many hours per day do you estimate that you would use the hand spreader? How fine an adjustment for the rates is required? What I mean - does the trigger need to be repeatable - a specific number/letter for an opening size.
JK
I think something as simple as four opening setting like the Scotts has works just fine. For some application I have to do the flower beds with the hand spreader. It may be used for a few hours a day several times a year. I'm sure other pest control guys will use it about the same amount of hours per day but they may have so many account that it may be used 100 times a year.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here's the link to my experience with the Spyker hand spreader http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...99#post4373199. The ball is still in Earthways court to build a hand spreader that will rule the roost. Jeff is there any chance you guys are going to get the ball moving and take advantage of Scotts expiring loop patent?

I'm sure the last few years probably had Earthway being conservative about spending R&D money but things are looking up now with the economy. I'm still baffled that thus far nobody has had the insight to build a decent hand spreader to appeal to the commercial market.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
Here's the link to my experience with the Spyker hand spreader http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...99#post4373199. The ball is still in Earthways court to build a hand spreader that will rule the roost. Jeff is there any chance you guys are going to get the ball moving and take advantage of Scotts expiring loop patent?

I'm sure the last few years probably had Earthway being conservative about spending R&D money but things are looking up now with the economy. I'm still baffled that thus far nobody has had the insight to build a decent hand spreader to appeal to the commercial market.
Just as an update - the Commercial hand spreader is in process in R&D but is top secret. But like I said at the start of this project/thread, I have a few projects ahead of this one and with limited resources to manage. Regarding R&D, we don't develop products based on the economy but rather on technological advances, turf care requirements, and where I see the market going and then design products for long term success. We lead the market in technology and utility with spreader and sprayers, and this fall plan a launch of the next generation of spreaders that will change how you spread all materials. Look for it in October.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Patience is a virtue..........

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.