Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-13-2011, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutbetterthanyou View Post
Last year when everone was talkin "bad economy" i had a great year. This year different story. I've lost alot of work. Been at it since spring of 02 and buy far the worse year yet. If it gets much worse i will be forced to get a 2cd job. In the past ppl said stuff like "i can't belive all the new lawn care ppl out there" i didn't feel like it was that bad. Monday in one rural area i bet i saw 10-15 new guys with single axles trailers,one mower, and ford expoler/s10 type set ups. funny thing was they all seemed to have hustlers (which in the past haven't been that popular,exmark/kubota country) Guess they all want to be like me, haha.
Same thing here buddy, had a record high year last year and it looks like this year will be among the record lows.
Looked on craigslist yesterday and seen the small biz section was just full of new commers to the mowing biz. I have also seen alot of new guys in my areas, a lot more then in the past.

It's the only job i know,
Where i can walk in circles and talk to myself
And no one thinks i'm crazy.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

things are great up here......already business is up by about 20% over last year, and the weather only turned nice this past weekend......we still have another 2-3 weeks before we start cutting, so I expect to grow even more.

Hope everyone who is experiencing a down turn has it turn around quick and back to better days
2010 Ford F 150 Super Crew 4X4
2011 Walker MTefi 26hp 52"
2013 Wright Sentar Sport 36"
2013 Wright Sentar X 52"
2014 New Holland T4050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2013 New Holland T5050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2012 New Holland T5050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2011 New Holland T4050 95 HP Tractor/blower
Old 04-13-2011, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

With all the talk about the economy crashing a couple of years ago I decided I should really try hard to find new accounts, just in case I lost some. I didn,t lose any, so now I have all I can do. Except for the cost of everything going up I'm doing fine. I work more now than before, but don't have more money in my bank account to show for it.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfpro21 View Post
things are great up here......already business is up by about 20% over last year, and the weather only turned nice this past weekend......we still have another 2-3 weeks before we start cutting, so I expect to grow even more.

Hope everyone who is experiencing a down turn has it turn around quick and back to better days
I'm moving up there with you. Up there i bet you get to plow alot to. How long is the mowing season that far north i wouldn't imagine it being super long.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Ramey View Post
With all the talk about the economy crashing a couple of years ago I decided I should really try hard to find new accounts, just in case I lost some. I didn,t lose any, so now I have all I can do. Except for the cost of everything going up I'm doing fine. I work more now than before, but don't have more money in my bank account to show for it.
See...

It is what you speak of that makes me think that despite the fact that things are slow, I'm really no worse off as I basically
foresaw what you did, but I also thought if I tried very hard I would simply end up like you say and be no better off...

So I guess I shouldn't complain but it still sucks, you might think you'd rather not work so hard
but it gets to where I hate sitting around all day waiting for the phone to ring too.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Every efn day it's get worse here.....

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 04-13-2011, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It's finally hitting my customer this year in CT. I talked to all of them face to face and got the hint of tight budgets from 20% of my clients. CT is getting hit hard from taxes and lost of jobs. It's the state that will not have middle class.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."