Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-10-2011, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Advice Dormant Seeded-what now?

Hey guys-

Having an issue with the front and side yard.

Did rennovation in these areas last fall. Killed everything and slit-seeded with TTTF.

About 4-5 weeks ago I added about 50 lbs of TTTF with a broadcast spreader to overseed and added Scotts Starter with Crabgrass preventor. Now that its warmed up I have A LOT of henbit in the areas that were renovated last fall.

What should I do?

1) Add another application of Scotts starter with crabgrass preventor this week. Follow up in one month with prodiamine/fertilzer application and spray a 3 way at a later date this spring?

2) Put down prodiamine/fertilizer

3) Just spot spray that henbit (all over yard) with Triclopyr and add another round of scotts starter with crabgrass preventer?

Will the henbit die off here soon on its own or should I spray? If I spray there will be no more chances to fill in any remaining thin spots.

I am hoping that I will still have a little germination in the next week or two.

Need some help....thanks

I am located in North Cincinnati, OH and this is my personal yard.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoming lawn service View Post
...About 4-5 weeks ago I added about 50 lbs of TTTF with a broadcast spreader to overseed and added Scotts Starter with Crabgrass preventor...
Now you'll get to see just how well the seed killer works... If nothing germinates from seed and survives for 90 days, then Scott's did what it promised...
Old 04-10-2011, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer option number one. The henbit will be severely damaged by mowing short; as a winter annual it will not return--at least until fall.
You didn't mention if the seeding last fall was successful, nor what date, nor what type of tall fescue seed. Is the tall fescue coming up this spring? Is the density satisfactory?
Probably this is a good lawn to use Imprelis--it does not interfere with seeding. Is the area irrigated? Why was it necessary to reseed? Did the slit seeding work as planned? What type of slit seeder?
Old 04-10-2011, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Riggle:

I killed everything with glyphosate last August. Slit seeded with Execu-Turf Tuff Turf Blend. Its a TTTF blend of inferno, avenger, and sidewinder. The reason I did the renovation is because I had clumps of KY 31, a million weeds, and a lot of bare spots. Bad crabgrass and nimbleweed. I moved into the house late spring and was too late for a PRE-M.

I do have a lot of thick areas and it looked great last fall. Got a lot of compliments from strangers lol. The henbit is in the thinner areas. Sidewinder is supposed to be lateral spreading but we shall see. I also have some patches of annual bluegrass.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Now you'll get to see just how well the seed killer works... If nothing germinates from seed and survives for 90 days, then Scott's did what it promised...
Small do you have anything productive to say? I do not think I will get crabgrass, henbit was there from last fall. I was unable to spray because I had shoulder surgery and was out of commission.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I prefer option number one. The henbit will be severely damaged by mowing short; as a winter annual it will not return--at least until fall.
You didn't mention if the seeding last fall was successful, nor what date, nor what type of tall fescue seed. Is the tall fescue coming up this spring? Is the density satisfactory?
Probably this is a good lawn to use Imprelis--it does not interfere with seeding. Is the area irrigated? Why was it necessary to reseed? Did the slit seeding work as planned? What type of slit seeder?

fall overseeding was pretty successful. have a few areas that thinned out, a few that didn't get enough water (seeded first week september was HOT). Area is not irregated, I rely on self watering schedule.

Dormant overseeding: Weather was really nice a few weeks ago and got cold again. Its started to warm up over the last week and more seed is germinating. Think that over the next week I will see more come up.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Imprelis sounds great but I am not licensed and do not know anyone in the area that uses it. I DO NOT apply to anyone's yard but my own.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Small do you have anything productive to say? I do not think I will get crabgrass, henbit was there from last fall. I was unable to spray because I had shoulder surgery and was out of commission.
Yes I did have something productive to say but I used humor to say it with, which evidently was lost... I was responding to the fact that you put down new seed this Spring along with Scott's fert and CG Preventor...

CG Preventer kills All Seeds that Germinates

If you want CG preventer then Don't seed or vice versa... I am getting tired this Pre-M mythology in which so many stupid things are done... and pros that are just as clueless, perpetuating the stupid mythology because no onesunderstand when CG starts and what pre-m does to all seeds...

You said you were too late in the Spring to pre-m last year when you moved in... Really?!?!
When does CG start in your area??? That is a question that is never addressed, even though Pros should have that much understanding of their profession... but Squirt and fert for the $$$$ is all they know...

Sorry for the rant but people need to think along the lines of living plants not laying carpet...
Old 04-11-2011, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I understand your point now, thanks. The starter I used contained siduron btw.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2011, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Hey guys-

Having an issue with the front and side yard.

Did rennovation in these areas last fall. Killed everything and slit-seeded with TTTF.

About 4-5 weeks ago I added about 50 lbs of TTTF with a broadcast spreader to overseed and added Scotts Starter with Crabgrass preventor. Now that its warmed up I have A LOT of henbit in the areas that were renovated last fall.

What should I do?

1) Add another application of Scotts starter with crabgrass preventor this week. Follow up in one month with prodiamine/fertilzer application and spray a 3 way at a later date this spring?

2) Put down prodiamine/fertilizer

3) Just spot spray that henbit (all over yard) with Triclopyr and add another round of scotts starter with crabgrass preventer?

Will the henbit die off here soon on its own or should I spray? If I spray there will be no more chances to fill in any remaining thin spots.

I am hoping that I will still have a little germination in the next week or two.

Need some help....thanks

I am located in North Cincinnati, OH and this is my personal yard.
Couple things to think about Wyoming Lawn Service. If this is the name of your company then you should delete your membership to this site or ask them to TOTALLY delete this thread because you sir need and education about pre- emergents - they kill EVERYTHING (that germinates) including the dormant seed you sowed. So #1 if your customers or future customers google you this thread is going to show up. #2 you really don't understand how the tools in the tool box work - so until you do you should not use them cause this is what happens. Hopefully you can talk to the moderators and get this thread deleted and start to study! Good Luck. This is a disaster! #3 you can't spell - sorry dude. JAT