Register free!

Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,512
all answers are correct!!! muck base seems to be more often than not 500's around here. Sand 400. Most Bahia is 500. Zoysia is usually 400.

Remember when you tell the customer - 400 is what a square of pallet is .....this works in your favor most of the time because on most jobs you can get more for your money on 5's and charge the customer for a number of 400s
__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-15-2011, 04:52 AM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
all answers are correct!!! muck base seems to be more often than not 500's around here. Sand 400. Most Bahia is 500. Zoysia is usually 400.

Remember when you tell the customer - 400 is what a square of pallet is .....this works in your favor most of the time because on most jobs you can get more for your money on 5's and charge the customer for a number of 400s
Mikey

I question 500 sq ft Bahia pallets??? A 400 pallet of Bahia is 4500 lbs. A 500 Bahia pallet would have to be 5600 lbs. 4500 lbs is already hard to handle for most fork lifts or skid steers etc that would be on the job. An 18 wheeler can carry 18 pallets of Dry St Augustine and only 14 of Bahia if all pallets are 400.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-15-2011, 08:11 AM
zturncutter's Avatar
zturncutter zturncutter is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Interior South Florida
Posts: 1,235
All of Joel's Bahia at Other Side Sod is 400 per pallet, just bought a pallet last week for a small patch job. Someone may be doing 500 per but I have never seen it, that would be one hell of a heavy pallet now let alone in the summer once things get wet.
__________________
ZTurnCutter
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-15-2011, 08:11 AM
knox gsl's Avatar
knox gsl knox gsl is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 3,739
Why would someone want bahaia grass, I always thought of it as junk grass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Mikey

I question 500 sq ft Bahia pallets??? A 400 pallet of Bahia is 4500 lbs. A 500 Bahia pallet would have to be 5600 lbs. 4500 lbs is already hard to handle for most fork lifts or skid steers etc that would be on the job. An 18 wheeler can carry 18 pallets of Dry St Augustine and only 14 of Bahia if all pallets are 400.
Ric,

You are correct, just seen that I typed in 500 on Bahia. And yes that would be a heavy pallet for sure.
__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-15-2011, 08:20 AM
zturncutter's Avatar
zturncutter zturncutter is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Interior South Florida
Posts: 1,235
Some of the lawns I cut are 5 to 10 acres, in a rural area, the big properties are usually Bahia. If it is cut @ 3.5" to 4.5" with sharp blades it can look decent. The other grasses are just to expensive to maintain, irrigation, chemicals etc.
__________________
ZTurnCutter
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
All of Joel's Bahia at Other Side Sod is 400 per pallet, just bought a pallet last week for a small patch job. Someone may be doing 500 per but I have never seen it, that would be one hell of a heavy pallet now let alone in the summer once things get wet.
Zturn

Joel at one time was doing 90% Bahia. I do his Pre-install burn outs and the occassional touch up when his customer develops weeds in there new sod. Of course I get a few new customers because of it. Joel is a real stand up guy but like all of us is hurting because of the economy




Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Ric,

You are correct, just seen that I typed in 500 on Bahia. And yes that would be a heavy pallet for sure.
Mikey


I think life is tougher for you
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

Mikey


I think life is tougher for you
Ric,

At your age. Just glad you still have the ability to think (not that I am saying it is clear).

Michael
__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Ric,

At your age. Just glad you still have the ability to think (not that I am saying it is clear).

Michael
Mikey

As the front running for this years Carl Spackler Award you got my vote.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-16-2011, 05:05 PM
Keith's Avatar
Keith Keith is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,815
Bahia pallets just look so tall because they usually have a few cow pies sandwiched in there.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:24 AM.

Page generated in 0.09395 seconds with 7 queries