Register free!

Old 04-14-2011, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

all answers are correct!!! muck base seems to be more often than not 500's around here. Sand 400. Most Bahia is 500. Zoysia is usually 400.

Remember when you tell the customer - 400 is what a square of pallet is .....this works in your favor most of the time because on most jobs you can get more for your money on 5's and charge the customer for a number of 400s

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 04-15-2011, 04:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
all answers are correct!!! muck base seems to be more often than not 500's around here. Sand 400. Most Bahia is 500. Zoysia is usually 400.

Remember when you tell the customer - 400 is what a square of pallet is .....this works in your favor most of the time because on most jobs you can get more for your money on 5's and charge the customer for a number of 400s
Mikey

I question 500 sq ft Bahia pallets??? A 400 pallet of Bahia is 4500 lbs. A 500 Bahia pallet would have to be 5600 lbs. 4500 lbs is already hard to handle for most fork lifts or skid steers etc that would be on the job. An 18 wheeler can carry 18 pallets of Dry St Augustine and only 14 of Bahia if all pallets are 400.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

All of Joel's Bahia at Other Side Sod is 400 per pallet, just bought a pallet last week for a small patch job. Someone may be doing 500 per but I have never seen it, that would be one hell of a heavy pallet now let alone in the summer once things get wet.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Why would someone want bahaia grass, I always thought of it as junk grass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2011, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Mikey

I question 500 sq ft Bahia pallets??? A 400 pallet of Bahia is 4500 lbs. A 500 Bahia pallet would have to be 5600 lbs. 4500 lbs is already hard to handle for most fork lifts or skid steers etc that would be on the job. An 18 wheeler can carry 18 pallets of Dry St Augustine and only 14 of Bahia if all pallets are 400.
Ric,

You are correct, just seen that I typed in 500 on Bahia. And yes that would be a heavy pallet for sure.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 04-15-2011, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of the lawns I cut are 5 to 10 acres, in a rural area, the big properties are usually Bahia. If it is cut @ 3.5" to 4.5" with sharp blades it can look decent. The other grasses are just to expensive to maintain, irrigation, chemicals etc.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
All of Joel's Bahia at Other Side Sod is 400 per pallet, just bought a pallet last week for a small patch job. Someone may be doing 500 per but I have never seen it, that would be one hell of a heavy pallet now let alone in the summer once things get wet.
Zturn

Joel at one time was doing 90% Bahia. I do his Pre-install burn outs and the occassional touch up when his customer develops weeds in there new sod. Of course I get a few new customers because of it. Joel is a real stand up guy but like all of us is hurting because of the economy

Quote:
Ric,

You are correct, just seen that I typed in 500 on Bahia. And yes that would be a heavy pallet for sure.
Mikey

I think life is tougher for you

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 04-15-2011, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

Mikey

I think life is tougher for you
Ric,

At your age. Just glad you still have the ability to think (not that I am saying it is clear).

Michael

Old 04-16-2011, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Ric,

At your age. Just glad you still have the ability to think (not that I am saying it is clear).

Michael
Mikey

As the front running for this years Carl Spackler Award you got my vote.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Bahia pallets just look so tall because they usually have a few cow pies sandwiched in there.