Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2010, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Questions on Kubota zero turns

Hi,

I'm a new member with some questions regarding zero turns, with a few specific questions about Kubota's ZG line.

I want a zero turn for home use, will mow about 2 1/2 - 3 acres of mostly level pasture - definitely not a finished lawn! I have quite a few trees and buildings to mow around, and was wanting to stay at about 54" width max to make it easier to get through some of the motts.

Cut quality is not as critical as ride, mainly because there isn't an established grass as yet, but only a few areas of decent looking bermuda. I'm concerned about being bounced around while cutting, but would like to maintain a decent speed. In this regard, is heavier better? I've been reading the forum, and some say the heavier machines tend to tear up turf, but I'm assuming that's on more manicured lawns than I have. Since this will be mowing for myself, if it rains too much, I can just wait a few days for it to dry out some - my sandy soil doesn't hold water long.

I looked at the Kubota ZG222, ZG227, and ZG327 today. Dealer is quoting $7300 for the 222, $8300 for the 227 and $9000 for a 327 he says he wants to move. I like the idea of the bigger deck on the 227, but am looking at it from the standpoint that if I go up a $1000 from a 222 to a 227, would it be worth spending another $700 and going to a 327? That's with a 60" deck, which I think I can manage (may have to take out a few more trees!), a suspension seat, bigger tires, and a couple of other upgrades plus almost 300 more pounds of mower (not sure if this is a good thing - see previous question). Seems to be a lot more mower for not that much more money.

Are these prices in line with any of you have been quoted? This is a lot of money to us for a mower, but I'm hoping it will be an investment that will last a minimum of 10 years, hopefully more. I'd estimate about 75 hours mowing per year. With proper maintenance, is it realistic to expect it to last that long or longer?

I started out looking at a Bad Boy Pup at the same dealer, 48" with 30 hp Kohler for $6000. I have mixed feelings on the Kohler, having a 27 hp on my current riding mower that has never made me feel totally confident that it was going to have a long life, but it's been behaving pretty good since a complete tune-up. However, with Bad Boy's financing costs compared to Kubota's, the monthly payments can be tweaked to stay within our budget if we were to buy a higher priced machine.

I realize I could buy a lower cost machine, but I have trust in Kubota, and the dealer.

Thanks for any help you may offer,

Andy
Old 05-01-2010, 02:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Those Kubota's are nice rigs. I saw one yesterday mowing a lawyer friends lawn yesterday. I just had to say, WOW! That's a nice looking Z! The lawn looked good too boot! I own a Bad Boy 52 inch Pup with a Kohler 30 hp. I'm happy! I'm getting close to 40 hours on her. I gave the Pup a bath today. I've got to say the Kohler sounded sweet. I have no doubts I'll get over 2,000 hours out of her. Yea! I'd love to own a Kubota, a Scag, a Emark, a Farris, or a Gravely and a Snapper or a Yazoo. The Pup will have to do! It's paid for.

MS
Old 05-01-2010, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I nearly bought the ZG227 and it looked like a great machine all around. I just didn't like the higher center of gravity since I have a lot of hills to mow.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

bobby j

Good Morning Andy

Go KABOTA I have the ultimate ZD 331 Diesel 72" Commercial Mower.
This is my 3 rd. season and I just love it. The finish cut is a great looking
lawn. And the ride is as comfortable as can be, with the extra large
high quality leather seat, with adjustable Lumbar support. Kabota goes the extra mile in building A Quality Product. No matter what size you decide to get IT WILL BE A QUALITY MACHINE THAT WILL LAST YOU FOR MANY MANY
YEARS TO COME. If you have a few Extra $$$$$$ I would advise getting
one with a Diesel Engine. Kabota Diesel just keeps on going and going
and it has the best Exhaust and Muffler System on the market. Giving you
the most QUIET RUNNING MOWER out there.

Good luck Andy and GO KABOTA
Old 05-01-2010, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Funny you should mention the diesel....

I took my wife to the dealer this morning to look at the ones I looked at yesterday, and there happened to be another customer there looking at diesels. I drove both the ZD221 and the ZD323, and the ZG327. While I will admit the 300 series has a better ride, that little 221 diesel is a sweet machine!

To me, the 200 series handles much better, seems to be more responsive. As mentioned, I have a lot of trees, and I'm concerned about trying to mow those areas with the larger machines. I'm thinking either the ZG227 or the ZD221 w/54" decks as of now.

If I look at this as a long term investment, the higher cost of the diesel seems to be acceptable. I have a Kubota L3130 that I bought new 5 years ago, and am more than satisfied with it.

I was quoted $9700 for the ZD221 w/ 54" deck, is this a decent price?

Thanks,

Andy
Old 05-01-2010, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Member

We have the old zd-21 here at our facility. I can say that the machine has been beat on from day one. We absolutely love this thing and it is virtually bulletproof. The only issue we have ever had with it, was the "hidden" fuel filter. Buy the 221 and you too will experience the joy of owning the finest mower in the world!
Old 05-01-2010, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My ZG227 has been great.

The 54 inch deck is a nice in between size. Its not to big and not too small.

Connecticut Pesticide Supervisor License

2002 Dodge Ram
16 Ft. Car Trailer
2011 Ferris DD Comfort Control 52
2009 Kubota ZG227 27 H.P. 54"
2008 48 Scag Belt Driven WB with a 17 kawi
Stihl Handhelds
95% Solo Operation
Old 05-01-2010, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Your on the right track Andy.
BUT sincerely if you can afford it Go for the ZD 331
Bcause the extra 10 HP will make a world of difference in the overall quality performance
of the super thick ( Full 6" ) Deck . Moving 3 Blades. I have this machine with a 72"
deck and it just cleans out any thickness of Grass / Tall weeds & especially if you have
Fall cleanup of leaves. But the best part is YOU ALMOST NEVER HAVE CLIPPINGS
BUILDING UP INSIDE THE DECK. Unless you try mowing in the pouring rain.
PS: You could check with your Kabota Dealer to find out if you can get the 54" Deck
on a ZD 331 Diesel.
I just love the OUTSTANDING QUALITY built in the KABOTA PRODUCT.
From the Multiple Coats of paint to the extra heavy duty parts built in every machine.
Whatever makes you decide in which mower you get. ///// SIZE OF DECK ///// OR Horsepower ///// or $$$$$$$ Remember that you have 3 Large and Heavy Duty
Quality blades to turn . And the 331 Kabota Diesel is the engine that will do the job
perfectly and especially QUIETER then any mower on the market bar none.

I Rest My Case Now cut your best deal
bobby j
Old 04-17-2011, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I am looking at a kubota zg327 with a rear discharge and I have a lot of hills with tight turns to mow .I'm not commercial but appreciate a good long lasting machine--any advic e will be appreciated
Old 04-17-2011, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a zg327 60". The reason I went with the gasser is weight, the diesels were about 400 pounds more if I remember right.
And as far as reliability, I have somewhere between 800-900 hours on it, and it hasnt been in the shop once.

And still not rich