Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-13-2011, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Snobby British foreigners must leave Florida now!

Got a call from a snobbish British older woman, was interested in some landscaping work done in her back yard. I could tell right off she was snobby while talking to her on the phone...asking a zillion questions, writing down my answers, She asked what kind of work I did, I stopped her and asked what kind of work she needed done, instead, she seemed perturbed by that! I was driving & was to busy to answer a bunch of needless questions over the phone about what I do, what kind of equipment I have,blah blah blah.

So I was finally able to set up an time to meet her, I'm always a few mins early, I ring the door bell, no answer, I think she might be out back, I walk around, the back screen door is open, I call out, she comes to the door & is peeved off that I didn't "wait" for her to answer the front door! Told her I thought she might be in the yard instead of the house, apologized, waiting a few mins for her to change her shoes...

She comes out, no hello how are you attitude, sour face, has a clip board list me and my fellow competitors, The questions start, She writing down my answers, wants some "idea's" on landscaping, wants (2) 20 ft trees removed, asked how would I do it, what kind of equipment I would use, WRITES EVERYTHING DOWN.

Wants some lil bushes transplanted, will I guarantee they wont die? I say no. Writes it down! Why want you guarantee it....? on and on and on...

I dip snuff, I try not to spit until the client turns away & I do and she says in a screeching voice, "I wish you wouldn't spit!" We talk some more but her attitude was so appalling, I found her demeanor to be quite rude. Then abruptly, she ends the conservation, says thank you for coming by and heads for the door

I've dealt with the British before and always found them to be very polite & well mannered but not this lady! I wanted so bad to tell her, remember, WE WON the war! (American Revolution)

I doubt she'll be calling me back & feel bad my competition will soon face her boorish self!

I'll be adding her name to my black list of people I will never work for
Old 04-13-2011, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Sorry but I don't see a problem with her asking some of these questions. I think it is unprofessional to chew around a client as well. Just my .02
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2011, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think I would have put a fresh dip in while talking to that one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2011, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I think i would have asked you to get the hell off my property if you were spitting that nasty tobacco crap on my yard. Shows no respect at all. But hey that is just me.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Flahaulboyyy

Howw do yer no dat she (SPIT) aint from dat country called Australy or mabe dat udder fer away place called New Zealy (SPIT) or maybeee Bermudee out dar in the ocean. Why I dont blame ye I wood not work fer her eeether and she wood be on me list. OMG are you serious
Old 04-13-2011, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would of left. I don't work for anyone that has an attitude.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ill take both sides of this one. I had an estimate to do recently. Showed up and they had a clip board with several spec sheets for several contractors with itemized work yatta yatta. Hey I applaud them I guess for doing their due dilligence but I can sniff a tire kicker a mile away and I dont have the time to waste on people who are only concerned with prices. I also, as a customer would think you were a clown if you were talking to me with chew in your mouth and spitting "when I turned away" to be polite
Old 04-21-2011, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

They have a clip board, who cares, so do I, I take notes as well. If you were bidding anything for any reason on my lawn and spitting out tobacco...pass. Were you wearing jorts and a tank top as well
Old 04-21-2011, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Word to the wise, those who don't "chew" find the habit incredibly disgusting. If someone was spitting brown crap on my property, I would ask them to leave, and be a little upset that they showed no respect for my property.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
Old 04-21-2011, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnoftheMonth View Post
They have a clip board, who cares, so do I, I take notes as well. If you were bidding anything for any reason on my lawn and spitting out tobacco...pass. Were you wearing jorts and a tank top as well
It wasnt the clip board it was the seven spec sheets going out to seven contractors. Funny thing is the guy who reffered me called yesterday and said they called him looking for my estimate because NONE of the contractors submitted one. Guess I wasnt alone in my gut feeling on that one.

Clip board = convenient, organized
7 contractors bidding = P.I.T.A. , tire kicker
chew spitting contractor = hack