Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-13-2011, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

verti-cutting sa / lawn solutions

Hey guys. Did some verti-cutting on a couple sa lawns today and just figured I would post some pics. Surprised more people dont do it. This is a very beneficial service for my customers lawns and a profitable add on to my business. And a quick 2 pics of my boxer and rotodairon removing a cruddy lawn, one pass. I still had some light raking to do to finish pic 2 but you get the idea. you can see how bad the lawn looked in rotodairon pic 1 and how good it is tilled prepped in one pass. (at least i think so)
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2011, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Damn, the rotodairon beats the hell out of using a sod cutter, how do you get the level of the new sod to match with the old ? or do you use it only when removing the majority of the lawn.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
Damn, the rotodairon beats the hell out of using a sod cutter, how do you get the level of the new sod to match with the old ? or do you use it only when removing the majority of the lawn.
you got it Z. If we are doing patch work (like a job ric subbed to me last week) we sod cut and patch. If we are removing the majority for sod or seeding bermuda we use the rotodairon. very good observation!
Old 04-14-2011, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What do you do about irrigation systems? You dont want to damage sprinkler heads. It looks good.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Still thinking that boxer is a great investment.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 04-14-2011, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
What do you do about irrigation systems? You dont want to damage sprinkler heads. It looks good.
You fire up the system and flag the heads, and the manifold or the individual valve boxes.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Always call 811 as well, free service to locate telephone, tv and electric. Even though you will not go that deep with a sod install many times the telephone is only an inch or two deep.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
You fire up the system and flag the heads, and the manifold or the individual valve boxes.
Yup, pretty basic. Find heads and valve boxes and flag. We till down 6 - 8 Inches. Irrigation pipes should be below that. I tell the customer I am not responsible for pipes hit that are improperly buried too shallow. It doesnt happen very often. Yes Mike the boxer is a great machine and I have no regrets buying it. Took down a couple huge trees today and that little machine sure saves me a lot in labor and sweat. From tree work to lawn renovations and installs with the auger, up to 36" this machine is a WORK HORSE!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Always call 811 as well, free service to locate telephone, tv and electric. Even though you will not go that deep with a sod install many times the telephone is only an inch or two deep.
I always call. I have an account set up. The only problems we run into with the rotodairon is the cable companies bury their lines WAY TO SHALLOW. They come out pretty quick and repair for free so its not a big deal. Augering without calling 811 and using the free service is nuts in my book.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Didn't think you were supposed to verti-cut SA? Have you done this before? If so, did it seem to help the grass?