Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-13-2011, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Looking for a backpack blower (i am new here)

Hi my name is brandon, just got a timecutter ss upgraded from a ole john deere 185 hydro, I bought a husqvarna trimmer (upgraded from ryobi) and now i am looking for a backpack blower. I am torn between the husqvarna 130bt or the echo pb-500h. I really like husqvarna products thus far the trimmer works great and has plenty of power but i do not know which one will work better. I am using it for sidewalks, driveway, leaves and gutter cleaning.
Thank you
Old 04-13-2011, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroZTR View Post
Hi my name is brandon, just got a timecutter ss upgraded from a ole john deere 185 hydro, I bought a husqvarna trimmer (upgraded from ryobi) and now i am looking for a backpack blower. I am torn between the husqvarna 130bt or the echo pb-500h. I really like husqvarna products thus far the trimmer works great and has plenty of power but i do not know which one will work better. I am using it for sidewalks, driveway, leaves and gutter cleaning.
Thank you
Well you come to the right place Brandon! I myself am a big fan of Echo products. I would certainly go with the 500h, but as always I would try steer you to move up a notch and get the top of the line model. I would suggest the PB770 or take a look at the Stihl line with the BR500 or BR550 or better yet the BR600 Magnum!!!

I had an Echo PB413 and it was good to me for 3 years and I still have it and use it as a back up or let JR use it. I recently got a Sthil BR600 Magnum and it is incredible! I did like my Echo 413, but it always felt like it was missing a gear, just not enough power. Well things have changed with the BR600 Magnum!! The thing will blow leaves across the yard, the power is amazing!! I used it as a snow blower in the winter!! I would highly suggest if you can swing it to go with the BR600 or BR550. If you really like the Echo, I would say go with the PB770. You really won't be sorry, the only reason I say this is because for the extra hundred dollars, you just get so much more. If you do a search in here, you find more and more homeowners going for the BR600. These machines are dependable and they are good on fuel aswell as last you many, many years. I am sure before this thread is over, most everyone will suggest the BR600 Magnum!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Stihl BG55 handheld blower
AMSOIL In Everything I own

Last edited by Capemay Eagle; 04-13-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Member

how much is the br600 mag i would love to buy a stihl product but raising a baby and being the only income in the household sometime limits my funds and i have to settle for what works good not what i exactly want. I got my zero turn because the john deere was old and kept breaking on me. A 3 hour job of cutting my grass is now maybe an hour.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
how much is the br600 mag i would love to buy a stihl product but raising a baby and being the only income in the household sometime limits my funds and i have to settle for what works good not what i exactly want. I got my zero turn because the john deere was old and kept breaking on me. A 3 hour job of cutting my grass is now maybe an hour.
I hear you and fully understand! The BR600 runs about $450 or a little more, but you can still get a good Stihl model in your budget, they make quite a few. They have the BR380 and BR420 which I think are around the $300 mark, still plenty of power and very reliable, they should always start on the first pull. The BR420 is a popular model with landscapers, I have seen allot landscapers with the BR420's on the trailers.

Back to your orginal post, I would go with the 500h over the husky, if that is your final decision. I have had great luck with Echo's and I plan on adding a new string trimmer this summer and I think I am getting the Echo SRM 230. Echo's are very reliable in my book!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Old 04-15-2011, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Honestly, I would rather buy a used Stihl backpack blower over the 2 models you mentioned. They last forever. I've bought several used ones online and at pawn shops and had good luck with it.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Thank you
How much are you going to use the blower

60'' Gravely pro-turn 29 hp
60" Exmark lazar 23 hp
48" Snapper pro walk behind 14 hp kawasaki
21" Lawn boy
echo blower trimmers etc.
2005 Ford ranger v 6 4x4
Go O's
Go Raven's
Old 04-16-2011, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have the 500h and love it along with my srm 225..its a great blower it was a good price needed something for the fall with leaves got in fall of 09 and its been great,never no problems use it for everything grass clippings,of course leaves,cleaning up after hedge trimming,its a great blower!
Wright 36" RH 07"
Redmax trimmer
Echo srm 225
Stihl fs90
Redmax hb28
Redmax eb7500 backpack blower
Rubbermaid cans 32gal
Solo backpack sprayer
A few more things..
Old 04-17-2011, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat48 View Post
I have the 500h and love it along with my srm 225..its a great blower it was a good price needed something for the fall with leaves got in fall of 09 and its been great,never no problems use it for everything grass clippings,of course leaves,cleaning up after hedge trimming,its a great blower!
If you don't mind sharing, what did you pay for the 550H?
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Old 04-17-2011, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

my br600 is a little over a year old and still starts on the first pull. After its been started once it starts first pull without choke
Old 04-18-2011, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a BR600 Mag and, if you can afford it, I would definitely recommend it! It is pricey but it will move some leaves and grass clippings! Love it and didn't know what I was missing until I purchased it!

John Deere Z930A 60'' MOD Deck
John Deere 25 gallon tow-behind sprayer
Stihl BR600 Mag Blower
Stihl FS 90 Weed Eater
Stihl MS310 Chain Saw
Stihl HS45 Hedge Trimmer