Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-18-2011, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

solo and when to hire a guy

I'm curious how many hours of actual mowing or other jobs solo guys are doing a week before they hired an employee. Don't include book work, post office, bank, etc. I would love to just be a 5 day a week worker and if my guy wanted to work saturdays he could if i had a job.

I'm finding it difficult to work in my mulch/pine straw and my weed control rounds. The weed control I can anticipate and it is only a few weeks out of the year. Between regular mowing and call ins i'm getting squeezed on everything else.

I figure if I can gross $1500-1700 a week solo that would cover an employee and allow me to get out and sale to some new customers. I don't want to build my business by killing myself so I'd rather hire a guy and do 4 days a week and build to 5 than to have 6 days solo then hire a guy.

Thoughts?
Old 04-18-2011, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Look for a college student, or even a high school student who can get out of school early on a 'work study' type program. My senior year of high school I left at 11 AM everyday. It was great and allowed me to work full time at the time (yes it was against the law for me to work full time, but it would have been my employer getting in trouble, not me, and they didn't seem to mind too much.) I'm not endorsing breaking labor laws, but if you could find someone who could work from 1-5 everyday or something that would free you up to do other things.

Alot of college students also often have Friday's off of school. So they could work a few hours a day a few days a week and all day Friday.

It's an option for you to work your way up to having a full time employee.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

+1 on the college student idea. One of my guys only works 2 days a week because that's all we need him and that's all he needs cash wise. Hell of a hand, hell of a guy. If he ever finishes up that accounting degree I'll have a good accountant instead of a good hand! Fine by me!