Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2011, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtandhoops View Post
Most banks won't "cash" a "business" check IF it is made out to a business name. The OP did not allude to that.
I don't have any problems cashing a business check at my bank.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.E. View Post
I'm curious to know....how do you look at a check that has been deposited? Is this a new techno thing?
Look at your monthly statements too, sometimes your bank will photo-copy the cashed checks and put them in there.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOLDPRO View Post
lol who post dates a 35 dollar check.
LOL. I was thinking the exact same thing.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
I don't have any problems cashing a business check at my bank.
I believe it has to be your bank in order for you to cash a business check. I have stamps with my company name, account number and "For Deposit Only" on them at my desk and in each vehicle so that when a customer gives me a check I stamp it right away so that it can only be deposited and can not be cashed. Even then I deposit them into my Bank of America ATM or inside and can take the money out right away; technically I can't cash it, I have to deposit it then make a withdrawel.

A check writen in your personal name you can go to the customers bank and cash it, or some other banks will let you cash any check for a small fee with a couple forms of od. This method is good when a customer makes the check out in your name and you want to hide the cash from old Uncle Sam. Not that I condone that
Old 04-16-2011, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
With Bank of America when you deposit at the ATM you have the option of having the check images printed on the receipt.
Isn't that a great ATM system BOA has!

My closest BOA branch is 23 miles away in a different state but my BOA ATM that excepts deposits is 500 feet away!

Their online banking and bill pay is incredible too, love it!
Old 04-16-2011, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone thought of the headache a bounced check would be to Kingmade? At least by my financial institution I am responsible as well. So that $35 check that just bounced probably will be a total of $65 taken out of your account by the time his bank sends it back to your bank.

Go back to the guy nicely and ask if he knew he wrote you a post dated check. If he says yes, ask if he has enough funds to cover if it comes out to soon and remind him that you charge a $40 fee for returned checks. I understand being irate. But come on, like has been said many times, the way people bad mouth their customers on this site... WOW. I have a few customers that are pains, but nothing that taking care of them properly won't take care of. Or better yet... raise the price $10 or $15 and if they stay with you it's at least worth your while.
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws
Old 04-16-2011, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

And I don't mean "nice" as in coddling or nurturing either. Just don't cus or yell at him. That just might get a baseball bat to your face if you don't watch it.
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws
Old 04-16-2011, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestImpressions99 View Post
Has anyone thought of the headache a bounced check would be to Kingmade? At least by my financial institution I am responsible as well. So that $35 check that just bounced probably will be a total of $65 taken out of your account by the time his bank sends it back to your bank.

Go back to the guy nicely and ask if he knew he wrote you a post dated check. If he says yes, ask if he has enough funds to cover if it comes out to soon and remind him that you charge a $40 fee for returned checks. I understand being irate. But come on, like has been said many times, the way people bad mouth their customers on this site... WOW. I have a few customers that are pains, but nothing that taking care of them properly won't take care of. Or better yet... raise the price $10 or $15 and if they stay with you it's at least worth your while.
I would be out the 35 plus an additional 20. It wont kill me. People want to think the guy looked at a calendar wrong and what not... if he was seven days off I could see it. The guy walked to his car, wrote the check. Last job of the day, I was tired. Took the check, went to the bank, and then home. Wells Fargo gives me the option to print copies of the checks on my receipt. Post dating a check without discussing it first is just a crappy way to treat someone. I will give him a chance to explain himself when I am back at his neighbors but if it is a bs excuse I will tell him to mow his own grass and you shouldn't treat people like that. Probably in harsher words depending on my mood.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One time I got a check from a client. It was dark and I don't like to check it in front of them to avoid being rude. Got home and It was for 100 more than I quoted him for the work I had just preformed. I thought, man what hassle to have to call him and get another check. I called him and he said, "thats right, I meant to do that". Best day ever. I usually get $20 extra here and there from my customers. Either they like me, or take pity on me. Either way its all good.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGMADE View Post
I would be out the 35 plus an additional 20. It wont kill me. People want to think the guy looked at a calendar wrong and what not... if he was seven days off I could see it. The guy walked to his car, wrote the check. Last job of the day, I was tired. Took the check, went to the bank, and then home. Wells Fargo gives me the option to print copies of the checks on my receipt. Post dating a check without discussing it first is just a crappy way to treat someone. I will give him a chance to explain himself when I am back at his neighbors but if it is a bs excuse I will tell him to mow his own grass and you shouldn't treat people like that. Probably in harsher words depending on my mood.
I'm trying to figure out why you are so bent out of shape about it. The check cleared, you got your money. Your not even acting like it could have been an honest mistake.

Even if they had not taken the check because of the post-date, it wouldn't have been your problem. Sure, 35 bucks out of your pocket, but a stiff fine for him.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.