Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-16-2011, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Marty Grunder webinars

Have any of you guys sat through his webinars. I just got an email talking about everything he has for the 6 months. Has he done the webinars in the past or is this something he is just starting this year?

Thanks for any input.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have always felt that i am smart enough to run my own business. I don't need to waste valuable time sitting around listening to someone else tell me how to run it.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
I have always felt that i am smart enough to run my own business. I don't need to waste valuable time sitting around listening to someone else tell me how to run it.
That's an amazingly narrow attitude, there are several very successful guys on here that go to GROW which is Marty's seminar. Even if you don't like Marty I'm amazed someone could be so against trying to improve their business. I spent the winter in my local library reading everything I could about business, because I realized while I may be able to do everything I want to with a landscape I wasn't exactly a business expert.

I plan to attend Marty's Grow Seminar, but if I wasn't the webinars would be my second choice. If you really want to grow your business invest in yourself.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I did not say I didn't like Marty or his seminars. I just never wanted to waste my time on them, and I have always made a very good profit, ( and had good growth), with my various businesses over the last 40 years.
I have gone to plenty of these type of seminars and never really thought it was time or money well spent. I guess I know it all. At least, that is what I tell my kids.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have to admit I'm a seminar/education junkie. I also rarely learn anything new at this point. I just believe there is more to business than being a profit island so to speak. I like to network with other contractors which is why I spend time here. I enjoy challenging the presenters to see how much they know. I just enjoy getting away from the day to day stuff and being around like minded people. I would miss that with a webinar but if your young/new to business I have to believe you would benefit from them.

Most of the guys that do that stuff have a bit of an ego and I think they are just expanding on their skill set. If your good at cutting grass you cut more grass make more money. If your good at business and you see a void in the market, which there really is in this industry. It is not much of a leap to share your business knowledge to others and make a few extra bucks.

Marty! could easily dump the educational stuff and probably be more profitable in his day to day business. His employees probably wish he would I'm sure it detracts from his day to day work. Vander Koi and Jim Hueston the other two big names in education and training in our industry are older and were really focused more on the construction side of the business. I just think they found training/consulting was a much easier way to make a living than the day to day grind of running a landscape business.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 04-17-2011, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow! As life changes, so does business. Sitting through a seminar or webinar is not ment to be a menu for you to follow. You will use bits and pieces of the topic, to implement changes that may or may not make you or your business just a little better. Grunder is a prime example of fail to succeed. He is not afraid to tell you he has tried and failed. Marty gives a real approach for not only the green industry but life itself. If you can afford the time, I promise you can't afford not to attend anything he puts on.
Posted via Mobile Device