Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-18-2011, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Walk Behind

I'm looking for a walk behind mower for my small residential accounts. What I was wondering is if I should get a belt drive or hydraulic walk behind. What are the pros and cons of both and what brand do y'all suggest??? Any feedback would be helpful.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are starting out, go with a used belt drive. It's cheaper. It may take a little more to turn it around and what not, but It's cheaper.

If you go head over heals with new top of the line equipment, it's gonna be harder to get the ball rolling with all the overhead.

Look on here in the classifieds or on craigslist. You can find some mowers on craigslist that have less than desirable resale value like, bobcat and whatnot.... Not because they are junk, but because people think if they aren't an exmark or skag, they are worth less....

Size depends on your needs. Yard sizes, trailer space, and storage space all come into play. If you haul your mower in the back of your truck, then you'll want a 36. If you have room for another foot of deck on the trailer then go for the 48. If you have plenty of room on your trailer, but the door to your storage shed is only 40" then you go back to the 36" etc.... etc.....
Old 04-21-2011, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wet conditions are the biggest drawback. But if you learn how to properly adjust them and use belt dressing and fresh belts you will be fine. Very little can go wrong with them. Parts are largely universal and cheap. Add a 100 dollar sulky and your off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2011, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hydro. The difference is night and day. This is a bad time to buy used as there aren't many out there, but be persistent and you will find one. Belt drives are fine mowers but the hydros are much more versatile and IMO much faster. Whatever you do don't jump out there and buy a $5K new mower until you have a better idea of what you really want.

I want a $100 velke!! where can I get one??
Old 04-21-2011, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Try Havener enterprises.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2011, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I started with a 32 inch belt drive exmark. 8 years old and never had a problem with it 12.5 kawasaki engine. I love exmarks. If all small yards stay belt drive. However if you want to grow into bigger lawns a hydro are far better but your guna pay for it. Get whatever brand you like just make sure you stick with a kawasaki engine.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i just bought a 36 gravely belt drive is about 2/3 yrs old n i got it the velke n an extra set of blades for 1200. only has 50 hours on it. So far I like it but I would haved liked a hydro one but starting out the extra $ is going to ads/flyers, but like they said keep ur eye out ive been looking for about a month and I got lucky.