Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-24-2011, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Resealing Pool deck

Can anyone help on this. I'm resealing my current pool deck of 7 years. Is there anything I can get at Lowe's or home depot that anyone would recommend. Concrete surface sprayed with cool decking..

Any tips on preparing the surface. Pressure wash and paint.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Because most concrete sealants are clear and expensive i would recommend a good pressure washing. USE SLIP RESISTANT SEALER. I can not stress this enough if you use the normal concrete sealer you will have slipping problems. Call up your local concrete manufacturer the larger companies usually will have what you need. Dont worry that your just a home owner. If they are true;y a professional company they will be more then happy to sell you the sealant or point you to another supplier that does. Try to stay away from the big box stores for this project.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the Reply, I will look into it. I have some cracks that I need to fill before I start he job. If I change the color to something darker, would I also seal it with a clear coat or is it all in one?
Old 06-03-2011, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

A question about what type of cracking you are experiencing. In some parts of West Kentucky, Southern Illinois and Southern Indiana we have cracking from what is known as mine subsidence. Where the coal is mined out and the top collapses and causes surface structures to fracture. These cracks can be quite large and can widen over a short period of time. Often over night.
What i use is nylon cord or rope as a backer and common outdoor applicable latex caulking. The diameter of the cord depends on the width of the crack.
The reason being is that these types of cracks always seem to get wider and you dont want something that you cant remove from the crack when the widening occurs. If the caulking pulls loose you can dig down to the rope and pull it out removing the old caulking.