Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-22-2011, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Kombi system shaft failure (edger)

I have a Stihl KM 110 R that I use a curved shaft edger with. I love the edger and it does a really good job but the shafts in the edger keep fraying at the end where it engages the motor. The super dealer I have has replaced twice free. I have disconnected a few times to put on the hedge trimmer attachment. I am inserting it all the way to the line and the dealer checked the alignment with the motor and found no issues. It frays right at the end and then will not go into the motor at all. Anything you guys think I am doing to cause this? The last shaft they installed looked to be a better design and they double checked to make sure it was the right part number. Anyway is anybody else having these issues?
36" Scag V-Ride
33" 760 ES Cub Cadet(backup)
22" Toro Self Propelled
21" Push Yard Machine
Stihl Kombi 110 with curved edger
Stihl Kombi 90 with straight shaft trimmer
Echo String Trimmer (backup)
Echo HH Blower
McLean Edger(backup)

http://baytownlawncare.com
Old 04-22-2011, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Can you learn to like a straight shaft. Being curved will have more stress than the straight shaft.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Have had the same problem several times. Taking it off the rack to eleminate all movement during transport helped but doesn't correct the problem completely. Ours has some hours on it now and another problem is that the attachment doesn't stay in place. Believe it to be wear (either the attachment shaft or the collar which tightens down onto the shaft).
Old 04-23-2011, 04:30 AM
LawnSite Member

I have one of these, I use it ALOT! Plus mine is the higher powered KM130 model, and I have never had to actually replace the driveshaft. I just repair it. In my experience, its usually due to either the collar not being tightened enough, then the attachment starts to slip out and you have limited engagement of the driveshaft to the motor shaft. Or, if you are like me and switch from a string attachment or something else to the edger attachment, you leave the motor running. If your low idle is set slightly too high, the motor shaft is still moving, and even though the driveshaft goes in easily, its actually stripping it for a split second as it "finds" its way in. I have found a good pair of wire cutters and a needlenose will fix this issue anytime. You just bend/twist/squish the metal back down and around and cut any excess, which is usually minimal. Ive been doing this on mine for 2 years, original driveshaft...I abuse mine so much that I had an edger blade break into pieces and shoot through the aluminum edger guard. WHEW that was close, whizzed by my employees head. Stupid off brand edger blades, dealer didn't tell me they weren't Stihl, they switched on me! Good luck.

Oh to rain man on your attachments not staying in place, its either due to over tightening the wing nut and warping the aluminum collar to the point it cant clamp down tight enough. Ive gone through 2 on my primary unit. Or, more likely and much more commonly, your wing nuts shaft or more likely the nut is stripping out and slipping. I replace those about every 4 months. Also those little plastic guide nubs on the end of the attachment had a design change and the new replacement ones work MUCH better, this can also lead to the attachment not staying on. The plastic wears out and gets jammed between the attachment shaft and the motor collar shaft and doesnt allow a full contact collar engagement.
Two Honda HRC216 walk-behinds
2-Stihl KM130R' Kombi's w/ string trimmer,hedger pole-saw,+edger
Stihl MS210 chainsaw
HS81T + HS81R hedgetrimmers
BG 86 blower
Earthway fertilizer spreader + Sprayer
and a bunch of other equipment...
Pesticide Q.A.L.#121767
30 Weekly Accounts, Solo Operation

Last edited by MowinginEureka; 04-23-2011 at 04:38 AM.