Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-21-2011, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro suzuki trouble

I have a toro 21 inch walk behind comsumer mower. It has the suzuki 2 cycle on it. My problelm is when the throttle is on fast and the balde is not engage it running about 4000 rpms. It only when i engage the blade that the governor kicks in and and the rpms drop to about 3200. What can i do to get the govenor to work when the blade is not engaged?

Model 20684
serial 7053010

Please let me know if i left any nessary info out
Old 04-21-2011, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Has the governor been adjusted properly? To properly adjust the governor, push the governor lever to full throttle, loosen the nut on the governor shaft, then turn the governor shaft in the same direction(toward full throttle). Retighten nut.

If this doesn't help, keep in mind that this mower is on it's 24th year of life and there could be some internal governor parts wear, sloppy governor shaft, etc.

I wouldn't be too concerned about 4000 rpms of free speed if the governed speed with blade engaged is 3200. If you're worried about 4000 rpm, use the throttle control to reduce the speed until you engage the blade.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks i will readjust the govenor to make sure that its adjusted the right way. Then see where i am at and go from there. I just dont want to lose this mower might be old but its very good dont make them like they used to.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You are correct, the Suzuki engines are tough to beat--2 or 4 stroke. Both of my sons in law are using old 4 strokers from the same era that I rehabbed--one a zone start and one a BBC. It's tough to wear them out if they are taken care of. The big problem was that the engine would outlast the deck and drive assemblies. The last deck shell I replaced was around $250 as I recall.

The most common wear point I found on the 2 strokers is excessive wear in the throttle shaft which will cause surging.

The major problem, if you haven't already checked, is the cost of parts. The last carb rebuild kit I bought, around 5 or 6 years ago, was in the neighborhood of $32 and I see they are now near $50. A throttle shaft is $35 and a new carb is pushing $250. These are retail prices I found from an internet seller.