Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-21-2011, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Stihl Kombi blower vs. Backpack blower & trimmer

I'm looking at either getting a backpack blower (BR420) and a string trimmer (FS90)...OR the kombisystem from Stihl with the blower. the question is whether the blower is really worth a crap. I have about 5 acres of land to tend and would get the pole saw with the KM90 and possibly the edger.

So, has anyone had any experience with the blower onthe kombisystem? I have pine trees and want to blow pinestraw out of a yard. you need a fair amount of arse in a blow to do that and I have borrowed a BR420 and it works good. But i don't know if the Kombi blower will do it.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got one. To answer your questions directly: yes; yes, and possibly.

Yes, I like it. I got it to replace my SH85 (the largest handheld blower they made at the time), and it's actually noticeably more powerful that that. I have the KM110, and feel that with the KM130 it could actually put out more air, so with a KM90 it would be closer to what the SH86 does now, which is nothing to sneeze at, BUT, I'm comparing it to a handheld blower. It's NOTHING like a backpack, and my BR500 (which by virtue of being their quiet model is the lowest powered backpack from Stihl) still kicks its butt.

If I only had one blower, it would be my backpack, hands down, any time, easy choice.
My wife (and several friends) have long hair, so they can't use the backpack, so if I wanted help I used to hand over the handheld, but I got tired of maintaining an extra engine just for that one use, so I got the blower attachment and sold the handheld. It was a nice upgrade from a seriously good handheld, but will still always be my second machine.

Oh, and the pole saw attachment is awesome. Stihl really knows how to make a saw.
I've commented positively about that, the edger and the hedge trimmer in several other posts.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The BR420 is Stihls most popular medium duty blower. It will work great for you and you will wonder how you got along without one. Handhelds are good backups that don't take much space. But it can't compare with a good BP.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2011, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

As for the Kombi blower attatchment, its not impressive looking. More geared for mild HO duty. It just simply isn't big enough to move much air.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2011, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
As for the Kombi blower attatchment, its not impressive looking. More geared for mild HO duty. It just simply isn't big enough to move much air.
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't knock that little unit till you've tried it. Once you've used it, you'll get right past the funny looks.
I asked my dealer what he though of it, and he said bring your powerhead and give it a spin in the parking lot before you buy it. I was blowing rocks, and tearing up the turf (but I'd suggest trying it out when there are leaves on the ground).
You have to remember that it's so small, because it doesn't include the engine. Internally, it has more fan than any handheld blower out there, and uses up everything the motor on my KM110 has wide open. I've heard that with a KM130 it blows even harder (and less with a KM90).

With the bigger powerheads, it'll outpace any handheld blower, but it's still no backpack.

You should take a look at this to get an idea of what it can do:
http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...rrent=KMBG.mp4