Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-26-2011, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

With this kind of growth, mow it and 2 days later, spray it with a good liquid broadleaf spray that professionals use, [by a pro that sprays, not granular] then 2 days later mow again and put down seed...

When the rains have come and settled the seed mulch mow to 3.5 inches high for the rest of the season and worry about crabgrass next year... You shouldn't get much if any, but this lawn needs good turf now...

BTW hold off on the fert until after the heat... You have done quite enough of that for one season, and over irrigating is not a solution for over fertilization...
Old 04-29-2011, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Would it be worth it to recommend tearing it out and laying all new sod. With it being such a small area I am tempted to not mess with overseeding, or hydro seeding and just put in a quality sod. I would think I could rent a sod cutter rip it all out in an hour then lay down all new sod and have less than $300 in materials. What are your thoughts on cost effectiveness and replacing the lawn? Should I look into hydro seeding the bare spots?

An update: I mowed it last week and sprayed some 2,4D to kill the broadleafs. But the weather out here is being bipolar, and the lawn is currently covered in half an inch of snow. Yesterday it was 75....
Old 04-30-2011, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you are going to sod it, be sure and till it well add ammendments as needed till it again, soak it down uniformly and rake out any bumps or valleys, once it dries enough to walk on without causing 'puddling' problems under each step.

Be sure the irrigation system is working before the sod, and plan on a bit of Milorganite under the sod, no crabgrass preventer or other herbicides, etc. flood it when it is put in, let it dry enough to roll, then water each morning enough to moistened the ground, and check it again by 1pm and see if it needs another dose... Do not overwater sod either...

It should root enough in 1 week to reduce the water from whatever level is needed at the beginning...
Old 04-30-2011, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would definitively top dress and over seed this lawn.
Complete lawn care services
Old 05-06-2011, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A customer wants me to get her lawn growing again, the lawn is almost 3 times as bad as the one in the picture above. 95% weeds 5% grass, any suggestions?
I almost puked when I saw the jungle! would it be better to start fresh with new sod, or could I salvage it?
Old 05-14-2011, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Update, less then one month later... I did not mow this lawn, the owner has just hired me to improve the lawn. He wants to do the maintenance himself, I am clearing my name of the lawn stripes, lack of edging, and trimming... Overall I think it has a long way to go before it is the nicest lawn on the block but it is improving.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2011, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice job came out great! What did you decide to do to it?
Old 05-16-2011, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

"Nicest lawn on the block". Requires getting off one's wallet. A shame he won't let you add the pro's touch to the details.
Posted via Mobile Device