Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-22-2011, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

What seperates you from the competition?

I was having lunch with a successful business owner yesterday and was picking his brain about business in general.

I asked him what should a small business owner do to grow its business? His first answer was to find what separates you from your competition and capitalize on it. He said it may be a unique product or service.

So I am curious to hear from successful guys in this industry on what made your business better than the other guys? Pretty much everyone can make a go at this business if they want to but how did you put your brand above the others and make it the BEST.

I'm not hung up on equipment purchases, etc...that's part of it, got to have good tools. I am more interested in hearing business side of things.

My goal is to grow into a business that I don't have to be the operating the equipment.

thanks for your advice!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Member

For me, 100% of my business is referrals and recommendations from the client. Everyone can mow grass and make it look great, so you need to separate yourself from them to get a more positive image over them and make yourself better then they are. A few ideas from me that I do will make the client like you a million times more. It is the little things that make the big difference. Some examples are this

1) if they are unloading groceries, help them. Bring in their trash can from the street when you can. Little stuff like this will make them LOVE you and they will talk about you to everyone about how great you are.

2) In every full service account I have, I have planted a vegetable garden for them. Since i was already maintaining the bed and it was available, I took 30 minutes and planted some vegetables. I just let them grow and then give them the vegetables. Takes just 30 minutes to install and thats all, and then you give them the produce and they LOVE it. Again, giving you a good image and SEPARATING you from the rest of them.

3) Spending the extra 10 minutes to make the yard really stand out. That means making it look spotless, down to every twig. You have to stand out!

4) I have found that if you create a little bit of a personnel relationship with them, they will be a ton more loyal to you year after year. But you don't want it to be a real personnel relationship, as you still want the relationship to be business, but just enough.

just some ideas..
Old 04-22-2011, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Branding, running the same distinct, clearly recognizable, logo on everything, from trucks, mowers, biz cards, ALL advertisements, shirts, hats, etc...Also selling convienience, meeting the customer whenever I have to, even if it means moving my plans around. Also monthly billing, doing little things free like throwing down some fertilizer if I'm doing a big job and have enough profit to make sense, bringing the newspaper to the door, helping carry in groceries, well you get the idea. Wash the trucks every morning before going to work, park an extra vehicle in a Very high visability area so people get used to seeing your logo, but you must have a VERY distinct Logo and not on magnets, I'm talking it should cover your doors and maybe go onto the bed a little and be bright colors!

Advertise everywhere, ALL newspapers, Door hanger as many house as you can, preferably thousands of them. And ALWAYS use your logo that is very distinct and memorable. News channels have advertising available on their website only that runs around $50 a month at least in my area. Get on there, tons of exposure, very few calls but it drives the logo. People will get to the point where they start to think of you as a reputable biz instead of some guy with a mower.

Make things easy, affordable, and get people to like you. It takes a TON of money to do it but long term, I can see the light! I am still spending more money each month then I am making, but I am willing to do that to grow to the size that I want to be at.
2006 32" Ferris Hydro
2011 Echo String Trimmer
McCullough Hand Held Blower
Craftsman walk behind Edger
Stihl 034AV Super Chain Saw

Country Lawns and Landscaping in Coeur D' Alene, Idaho
Old 04-22-2011, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

For me, as a sole proprietor so far, my keys have been friendly eyeball to eyeball service, quality of service, professional way of doing business, and the fact that I do ALL my own business so people can put their trust in me, not some employee that they never met before.

That said, to grow, you need to pass some work on to employees at some point, so I plan to be VERY strict with who I hire in the future.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-22-2011, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1. I don't do business with people I don't know.

2. I offer MANY other services....other than lawn maintenance/landscaping.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

if you combine airsoft..DA...and vencops you have the ultimate all around answer...it couldn't have been said any better.
you can have 100 idiot customers that dont care about you or you them or you can have a close knit group of customers that you want to shovel out 5 yards of dirt by hand from their backyard and not ***** about it.
I have a senior that is a shut in and every month I take her a loaf of fresh baked cheese bread...price $3.50 worth= endless...son gave me tickets to leafs game a few times as an appreciation...not that I wanted to see a losing team lol
Old 04-22-2011, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quality is #1. I used a guy today to just to get through the day and he was terrible. Even though he had trimmed/edged with his dad he wasn't holding up to my standards. I had to constantly go behind him on edging etc. If it's just me the final product is dang near perfect but for me hiring solid employees is crucial. It scares me to ever have to hand it over. I know that they just won't be able to do as good of quality. A $10/hr guy can only care so much...

It sounds like you're interested in starting up but wanting to just do business and not get dirty and hand things off as soon as possible. I say go out and cut 10 yard in a day yourself and find out for yourself the right way (your way) of doing everything. This will come in 10 fold when it comes time to train guys. If you just try to hire guys and cut them loose you'll sink the boat. It takes ALOT of hard work, focus, etc.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

for me i think it's customer service.

i treat clients how i would want to be treated by a lawn service. i provide service like i would expect a lawn service to provide it to me.

while i won't say my actual prices make much of a difference but i'm more interested in providing my clients with quality services at a FAIR price than padding my pockets.

i work with clients to get the money. if they need a payment plain i will put them on it. i also make suggestions as to what is the cheapest route to get the job done.

for example. i offer 2 different ways to do fall clean ups. the first way is come on a weekly basis mowing up the leaves and blowing out the mulch beds for a little extra than the weekly mowing price. the second way is to show up 2 or 3 times and remove all the leaves from the property.

9 times out of 10 its cheaper to come on a weekly basis mowing them up and spending maybe 15 min. top blowing out the mulch beds. i will always push for this way. sure it makes me less money but its easier for me to do it this way and saves the client some money.

if you try to save clients money i feel they are more likely to stick with you for a few reasons. one they will have more money to spend on you in the long run. secondly they feel you care. your not just some greedy person out there to make a buck at whatever cost.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
for me i think it's customer service.

if you try to save clients money i feel they are more likely to stick with you for a few reasons. one they will have more money to spend on you in the long run. secondly they feel you care. your not just some greedy person out there to make a buck at whatever cost.
Oh yeah, I forgot...
I spoil them.
Rotten.

Oh, it's bad.

I mean I set up appointments to do the work when they ARE home!

So they can come out and do that thing of breathing down my neck and all of that.

They love it.