Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-11-2011, 12:40 PM
stlouis grass cutter stlouis grass cutter is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 35
Hopefully starting up.....

I know the season has just started, but I am looking to start up or buy a lawn service. I have worked for the "man" too long and would like to be independent. I know I will have my challenges just as any job but the ball will be in my court to succeed. I am would be in the South County area of St. Louis, MO being that I live close to HWY 55 and Meramac Bottom. Trying to stay close to here and may northern Jefferson County. My startup goal is to mow, trim, and clean off drives, walks, etc. Sooner than later get a license for fertilizer applications.

What I am asking you experience guys is.......hopefully some from St. Louis will responde with their personal experience with dealers and the such.
Any input would be GREATLY APPRECIATTED.

What type of mowers would you guys recommend? Exmark, Toro or any others?

What dealers in St. Louis have been good to you as far as price and service?

Any other suggestions I may not be thinking of!

Please keep in mind I am not trying to take anyones accounts away. I figure there are alot of yards out there and people who are looking for a service. Just want to make a living!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-13-2011, 01:12 PM
stlouis grass cutter stlouis grass cutter is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 35
Anyone????????
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Flatop's Avatar
Flatop Flatop is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 234
Here is my take on mowers. Try them before you purchase one especially if you plan to spend $$$ for a mower. Check with a local dealer and see what what type of mower they have to demo. As far as what size mower to get, in depends on the homes you are targeting. Here in San Antonio subdivision you are lucky if you can get a 36" deck mower through the gate to get to the back yard. Since you are new, and I'm fairly new myself, you may want to use the search feature on this forum regarding some questions you may have. (Some of your question you may have might be found there) You go to Network with people in your area forum to contact people in your area.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Bogielski's Avatar
Bogielski Bogielski is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hubert, NC
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouis grass cutter View Post
I know the season has just started, but I am looking to start up or buy a lawn service. I have worked for the "man" too long and would like to be independent. I know I will have my challenges just as any job but the ball will be in my court to succeed. I am would be in the South County area of St. Louis, MO being that I live close to HWY 55 and Meramac Bottom. Trying to stay close to here and may northern Jefferson County. My startup goal is to mow, trim, and clean off drives, walks, etc. Sooner than later get a license for fertilizer applications.

What I am asking you experience guys is.......hopefully some from St. Louis will responde with their personal experience with dealers and the such.
Any input would be GREATLY APPRECIATTED.

What type of mowers would you guys recommend? Exmark, Toro or any others?

What dealers in St. Louis have been good to you as far as price and service?

Any other suggestions I may not be thinking of!

Please keep in mind I am not trying to take anyones accounts away. I figure there are alot of yards out there and people who are looking for a service. Just want to make a living!
Good luck with starting up. You will have your challenges. Make sure you have enough revenue when December comes to make the payments for the winter. Advertise, be honest, get insured, and work hard.
__________________


B & H Lawncare & Landscaping, LLC
http://www.bhlawncare.biz

2008 F-550 Super Duty w/ 8' Dump
2007 F-450 Super Duty (4 door) w/ 10' Flatbed
20' 10,000lb Landscape Trailer
18' enclosed cargo trailer
2011 MF 1635
2010 Exmark 52'' Lazer Z ASX
2010 Exmark 36'' Turf Tracer HP w/ platform
2011 Exmark Commercial 21
2001 Husquvarna 42'' Walk-behind w/ platform
Echo / Redmax hand tools
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-14-2011, 06:34 AM
stlouis grass cutter stlouis grass cutter is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 35
thank you..........

To both Flatop and Bogielski..........thank you for taking the time to give me your input. It is greatly appreciated.

Have a good day and thanks again!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-14-2011, 10:09 AM
grassman88 grassman88 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: mass
Posts: 218
also when looking for a mower if you have the money dont worrie about the price as much (shouldnt be that much of a diffrence between dealers) worrie about the service you could find a great price on a mower then and horrable service with that dealer
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-20-2011, 11:12 PM
stlouis grass cutter stlouis grass cutter is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 35
Can anyone suggest any brands of mowers to purchase? It seems that brands favorites can be regional or personal preference. I have talked to a few dealers and they have seemed they will be helpful with service and support which is important. If my blades aren't cutting the green stuff, no green will be going in my pocket. Toro, Exmark, Ferris. I do like the Toro Grandstand (less walking to get job done faster)
If am considering the Grandstand 48" and a 32" WB for the back yards.

Let me know feedback is greatly appreciatted.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-20-2011, 11:13 PM
THEGOLDPRO's Avatar
THEGOLDPRO THEGOLDPRO is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CONNECTICUT
Posts: 5,163
My advise is you learn how to use the search button and start reading.
__________________
Official THEGOLDPRO fan club.HERE
2012 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2011 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-20-2011, 11:53 PM
Flatop's Avatar
Flatop Flatop is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOLDPRO View Post
My advise is you learn how to use the search button and start reading.
My advise to you, THEGOLDPRO is that you read the entire post. It has already been posted.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatop View Post
Since you are new, and I'm fairly new myself, you may want to use the search feature on this forum regarding some questions you may have. (Some of your question you may have might be found there)
__________________
3 lawn mowers
1 aerator
1 walk behind edger
2 BP blowers
3 trimmers
1 multi tool w/ hedge trimmer and edger attachment
2 shovels
1 rake
1 broom (worn out needs replacement soon)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-21-2011, 01:49 PM
stlouis grass cutter stlouis grass cutter is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 35
Seriously!!!!!!!!!??????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOLDPRO View Post
My advise is you learn how to use the search button and start reading.
Duh! Really? Try typing in Toro Grandstand all I get is units for sale.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:08 AM.

Page generated in 0.10678 seconds with 9 queries