Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-20-2011, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Where to spend advertising dollars?

I have a little money left over for adverstising. I've run a small ad in a local paper again this year. This is where I found all but one of my accounts last year.

I'm wondering if you guys think money would be better spent on "professional flyers" or buying some signs and putting them around town?

Ive used flyers in the past with little success. I'm thinking maybe if it looked more professional I could get a better response.

What are your thoughts? Whats been working for you this year?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Flyers are a 1% call-back rate, not very good at all. Keep your small ad and hit all the neighbors on your route weekly. Knock on neighbors doors and say, "Hi, im so-and-so and I will be at this house weekly, usually around the same time and if there is ever anything that you need here is my card and please give me a call." Thats it, and its free. That goes a long way. They will go inside and think of anything that they might need done. Charge cheap at first to get them hooked then once they continue to call or refer you then go ahead and mark it up and make your money back, but dont scare them on the first job.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzLawnMan View Post
Flyers are a 1% call-back rate, not very good at all. Keep your small ad and hit all the neighbors on your route weekly. Knock on neighbors doors and say, "Hi, im so-and-so and I will be at this house weekly, usually around the same time and if there is ever anything that you need here is my card and please give me a call." Thats it, and its free. That goes a long way. They will go inside and think of anything that they might need done. Charge cheap at first to get them hooked then once they continue to call or refer you then go ahead and mark it up and make your money back, but dont scare them on the first job.
Knocking on doors isnt free even if you do it.. I find people on craigslist to stick fliers on doors. I can get around 2,000 fliers out for 200 bucks. 7.25 an hour can go a long ways especially if you find someone that is in decent shape.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sure but now you have more liability, what if that guy gets hit by a car or gets sick or hurt? You still gotta pick up and drop off. Doing it on your route makes sense since your already there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2011, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A more professional looking flyer won't get more folks to call you, I don't think it would...
It might get a different type of person calling but it won't be more, and I could be wrong
but I think the response rate for fliers is pretty much the same regardless of looks?

Anyhow...

Last edited by topsites; 04-21-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pay someone to do your Seo for your website to get you to the first page on Google. Then you will get lots of calls.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2011, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willretire@40 View Post
Pay someone to do your Seo for your website to get you to the first page on Google. Then you will get lots of calls.
Posted via Mobile Device
You dont have to pay someone to do this, you just have to pay. I was doing this for a while and was top placement on the first page until my competitors clicked on my page every chance they got and I was paying $400 a week. Works for awhile until you get noticed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2011, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Member

So you're suggesting website over direct mail or flyers?

Can anyone PM with web designers or companies they have worked for with in the past?

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzLawnMan View Post
You dont have to pay someone to do this, you just have to pay. I was doing this for a while and was top placement on the first page until my competitors clicked on my page every chance they got and I was paying $400 a week. Works for awhile until you get noticed.
Posted via Mobile Device
He meant organic search engine rankings, not paid google ads.

Anyways, forget fliers... a 1% callback rate would be crushing it.

Online stuff such as Facebook ads has very high ROI if done right. But, knocking on doors is very high value, again, if done right. I wouldn't just hand them a card. You should go for the sale. Have a laminated, nice looking rate card of the services they can purchase, and price them a little high... then, when you're talking to the neighbors, you say something like, "look, if I can service you each week while I'm doing the Johnson's, I'll drop this down to ____." That will sell a lot of people. Then you offer customers $20 walmart giftcards per referral, which people WILL do. It's way different than offering just $20 for some reason.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I like to look on zillow.com for houses which were sold from December to the present date. I have a nice postcard (vistaprint) which I send to their address. Then I send another one about two weeks later. The last batch I sent which was about 50 to 60. I got four calls and landed three accounts. I only search for 300,000 dollar homes or more. They buy a home they need someone to mow.