Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeef View Post
all comments welcome! good or bad, want to know what you think. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Not too bad, but I do wonder if your site compares well with your competitors. A few comments:

Designing a site from wordpress (starting with a template) makes it difficult (but not impossible) to get a really nice design. There are some changes they let a non-web-designer make, and others that need working with the code.

First, your site has fairly poor design for search engine optimization. Looking at the pages source code, I see no title for the home page and pretty weak titles for all other pages. Titles should contain keywords for your business. There are no page descriptions anywhere in the site. Also, the page URL's (appear in the browser address bar) show only page numbers - they should have page-specific keywords. Wordpress has a plugin that for SEO that puts in these titles, descriptions, etc. There's also a display preference that changes the URL.

Next, there's no reason to keep the Admin menu items to the left of the page. Some wordpress templates put them in as a default. Take them out if you can.

The calendar is kind of strange. I see that it's meant to display blog entries from different dates (they show up if you click the month under the calendar). But you don't show a blog in your site. If you're not going to add a blog, I'd remove the calendar.

Also, the weather bar - I like it, but not above the main page headline. It should be to the left or right or at the bottom of the page.

There's a big white space above the left nav and main body text - shouldn't be there.

It's kind of strange to see the page order along the top nav display in a different order in the left nav - should be the same.

That's enough for know. I feel kinda bad because I know you won't be able to make many of these changes yourself (not your fault). Maybe you can find an inexpensive wordpress guy to clean things up.

Good luck.

stevep@voltlighting.com

Outdoor Lighting and LED Light Bulbs from VOLT®.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your feed back, as Steve said, its a wordpress site so I can make few changes myself.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

One of the main reasons to have a website is to get some attention from Google. Eventually you'd like to come up in the top 10 results for "lawn care milton," "mowing guelph" or whatever. Make sure those words are on many of the pages. I agree with the comments above about your number being up top in big letters.
Blog: http://prohortmanatee.wordpress.com/
Email: dkp205 (at) ufl.edu