Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-22-2011, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Feedback on landscape & wall design

HOPE TO HEAR SOME FEED BACK ON THIS DESIGN...I had designed another one a few days ago but changed it to this now.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2011, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

its not letting me upload the original design
Old 04-23-2011, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the design that is uploaded i don't like. There isn't really much bed design, your just making a small border retaining wall were the beds already are and filling it with ornamental high maintenance flowers ,shrubs and grasses. Since the house isn't a mansion, try to make the landscape big so it doesn't make the house looks so small. The left part is fine with what you have since the sidewalk is parallel with the house but on the right side, try to add some curves and bring out the beds some more to create some shape.

Lets be honest, that house is horribly ugly, but as a landscaper you need to make it look nice and clean. Create some curve and eye pleasing colors.

Here is what i mean by curves:
Attached Images

Insured and Licensed
Old 04-23-2011, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I appreciate the input! Trust me when I met with the owner I said the same exact thing! They dont want the beds any bigger and without making the beds bigger I cant curve the wall on the right side it wont look right at all... I had orig met with the owner and basically walked the same patern youve done on the right but they dont like that idea. I think basically they want a landscape wall but want as little as possible in length to save $. I also wanted to put in a flowering ornamental tree on the right but they insist on NO tree at all. Its a hard one for me to design because they have so much input on what they want and don't want. Also up close to the house it is alot of shade. N facing front hence the reason im trying to bring in mainly all perennials that will survive shade or at least part sun. As for high maintenance, I dont see that much maint. involved with the current design.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure in your estimate you put in cleaning that roof!!! Damn that thing is UGLY!!!
Old 04-23-2011, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Normally I like an asymmetrical design but that house is so symmetrical that I would want to see balance. There's also no theme/style to the design, it just seems like you put an array of individual plants. I just finished a design that didn't see any direct light as well and there are plenty of options. What about a more Rudbeckia, you have the one plant but a mass of those would really make it pop. Azaleas would be great on that property as well. I'd worry about the grass you have in the picture. I don't know if the scale of that grass is accurate, you may end up blocking the window.

I'd want to see a similar plant on each side of the stairs and maybe Euonymus on each edge of the house. Lamium would be nice on this site as well, a ground cover that likes shade, has small flowers and interesting verigated leafs.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherland View Post
Normally I like an asymmetrical design but that house is so symmetrical that I would want to see balance. There's also no theme/style to the design, it just seems like you put an array of individual plants. I just finished a design that didn't see any direct light as well and there are plenty of options. What about a more Rudbeckia, you have the one plant but a mass of those would really make it pop. Azaleas would be great on that property as well. I'd worry about the grass you have in the picture. I don't know if the scale of that grass is accurate, you may end up blocking the window.

I'd want to see a similar plant on each side of the stairs and maybe Euonymus on each edge of the house. Lamium would be nice on this site as well, a ground cover that likes shade, has small flowers and interesting verigated leafs.
I agree with this. except im not a huge fan of the lamium.. if you do that just keep it under control and don't let it take over.

2000 Ford F150
6.5 x 10 Open Trailer
Exmark Metro commercial 48"
Bobcat Ransome 48"
Husqvarna 128LD attatchment system
Stihl BR550
Stihl BG65
Stihl 034AV
8hp Little Wonder Walk Behind Blower
8hp Leaf Loader.
Tons of hand tools
Old 04-23-2011, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherland View Post
Normally I like an asymmetrical design but that house is so symmetrical that I would want to see balance. .
Agreed, need balance. The original design is to random.

The house and beds are too small to try and randomize. Keep it simple and clean. Just look at it and think of how you would want it to look, not only after the install but 15 years from now.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Which program are you using to create the design?
Old 04-23-2011, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Would also like to know what program you are using?