Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2011, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Spreading loam

Need to spread about 12 yards of loam to seed a long gone lawn. Customer is a good friend and future lawn account,and I am trying to give him a good deal. My question is can two hard workin guys spread 12 yards of loam and seed in about 5 hours or am I out of my mind? Also,is it really necasary to use a compost mix,it cost more,thanks!
Old 04-23-2011, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on access a lot but I'd say that's overly ambitious unless you're using some sort of machinery. Assuming an average weight of 1.5 tons per yard, you're talking about 18 tons of soil. Personally I'd use a tractor with a front end loader and a "York" rake for something like that.

As far as using a mix, it really depends on the quality of the soil. Around here what some places call topsoil is more like subsoil....really silty stuff that compacts to hardpan if you just look at it. The problem with the mixes is that they tend to have a lot of twigs and stuff in them, at least that's my experience.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Member

No machinery, and we need to seed as well,hmmm
Old 04-23-2011, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Get the driver to chain the gate on the truck when dumping and drive forward. You will have much less work this way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2011, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Sounds good,probably not good to have him on the exsisting lawn with that weight though,ha. He could do a bit of that in the driveway I guess. Not really looking forward to it, but need another lawn in that area.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Should be able to rent a machine for the day for a couple hundred bucks. I wouldn't even consider spreading more than a yard or 2 by hand.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am thinking you don't need dirt--you already have that--its right under your feet. Bad dirt is not the problem--and some other kind of dirt will not correct it. Unless you think that you will seed, and the dirt will serve to cover the seed.

Do a soil test, correct any bad watering habbits(add irrigation), correct excess shade (with a chainsaw), and install top-quality sod. Get the sod they use at Yankee Stadium (unless you are a Redsox fan). Results are better, quicker, and cheaper.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/sp...l/22grass.html
Old 04-23-2011, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Hahaa, yes,thanks for the input,customer's tenant at 1 of the homes works at area farms and sod farms and is hooking him up killer seed,my old boss,master horticulturist said no new soil,good seed will grow just about anywhere,aerate the hell out of it,slice seed, start fert., pre emergent and call it a day,maybe do it again in the fall
customer is a friend,looking to keep his costs down/get the lawn account
Old 04-23-2011, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

also-is it ok to apply pre emerg.,start fert.,and even grub control at the same time with seeding? Nothing will explode will it? Ha, Like the seeds? They'll be ok? thanks
Old 04-23-2011, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No you can't use pre-emergent with new seed. It might block germination.
Get a licensed person to do your pesticide applications. Tupersan is the only pre-emergent safe for seed.