Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2000, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We've got 2 Shindaiwa backpack sprayers and while Shindaiwa makes top quality trimmers and blowers (we use their's) I'm not too enamoured with their sprayers. The pressure between the two is uneven and they both have a tendency to leak from the top when they're full. We don't blanket spray herbicides (or any other applications), we spot-treat. Is there a brand name of backpack sprayer you'd recommend from experience? Shindaiwa has come out with a newer model for this season but I'm a little wary.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>
Old 03-13-2000, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

We use Solo products, havn'thad a problem with them. Did have to replace a nozzle due to wear. We also only spot treat. Tom
Old 03-13-2000, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I always use the solo products also. I guess its always been a standard to me, because thats what my professor who sprayed tree farms with used. One thing to look for is the type of pump. Solos have two types, a piston and a diapharam pump. The diaphram pump in better because it is completely sealed. The piston pump, over time, has tendency to start leaking because the piston seal wears down and begins to leak. <p>I was just a lesco, and it looks like they have a contract with solo now. They had a diaphram pump model, identical to the solo in every way, for I think 70$. Also, home depot, (how i hate to mention that name though) has the solo piston pump for around 80 or 90. I think there is a size diference between some though (3 or 5 gal), so check that with the price.
Old 03-14-2000, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use both Shindaiwa and Solo sprayers. For use of applying non-selective herbicides, I use the Shindaiwa. I've had this pump for more than 2 years. The only time I had leakage was when I forgot to close the lid properly. Like anything used, you have to do maintenance. (Lube the piston, replace seals ECT.) I like the fact that the pump is skinny. Easy to take from my trailer. Also doesn't take so much room as the Solo pumps. The Solo pump, 2 of them, one is used only for selective herbicides and the other one is used for both insecticides and fungus apps. The difference in quality is price. The Shindaiwa pump ran me $95 while I get the Solo's for less than $80. I have to say that I have been using the Solo's longer than the Shindaiwa. I got the Shindaiwa because I needed to save space on my trailer.<p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044