Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-25-2011, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, that last picture is scary. I'm thinking I need a decent fire extinguisher, or about 800' of garden hose, just in case.

If you, or Hustler, or Kohler, ever find a cause, let us know.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Status Update

Okay, I have a quick response and some dialogue going with my insurance company and Hustler on this.

I really want Hustler to look at this and try to figure out what went wrong because the safety issue is the most important thing. The 19hp Kohler engine in this mower was not a good engine in my opinion, too much oil fume blowing out everywhere, too high oil consumption, backfiring often when I shut it off. I wonder if this motor caught on fire due to oil being all over the inside and that took out the fuel system (I think the carb was plastic because it's gone) or if the backfiring damaged the fuel system and it failed. Either way once the motor died under me it went up like a torch.

I have communication with Hustler, they asked a bunch of questions and I sent a report with what I knew and pictures. I told Hustler I would be fine if the mower was repaired but *without* the Kohler engine, I have lost faith in that engine in the full size Fastrak.

My insurance company responded that I am covered for full replacement value on this mower, and that if I persue a claim they will do an investigation on the mower. If they find I didn't do anything material wrong they will pass their costs through to Hustler via "Subjugation" action.

So I have to wait to see what Hustler says, then it goes from there.

I will keep you posted on any safety findings as well as how this turns out.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good News! That would be hard to loose that much money!
Old 04-25-2011, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71gearhead View Post
My insurance company responded that I am covered for full replacement value on this mower, and that if I persue a claim they will do an investigation on the mower. If they find I didn't do anything material wrong they will pass their costs through to Hustler via "Subjugation" action.
Hmm, Is this homeowners insurance? I did not think that homeowners would cover something like this? Did you add the mower to your policy?
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 04-25-2011, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
Hmm, Is this homeowners insurance? I did not think that homeowners would cover something like this? Did you add the mower to your policy?
My agent told me my policy automatically covers anything used to maintain the property. No special rider necessary.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
I have both homeowners and a $1M umbrella policy, and I don't know at this time if one or both made it possible as I have not had time to ask my agent why the mower was covered. For now I took his word that it was covered and went from there. They told me to get quotes for a new mower.

The mower was not specifically listed as covered in any of my policies.

At some point I will find out why the mower was covered and post the reason here.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

For the rest of today's developments: I was able to prove I purchased the mower in August of 2009, roughly the same month it left the dealer, and Hustler was able to verify it - we came full circle to the same person. So the warranty is no longer in question.

The fact the insurance company agreed to cover it fully seems to have had some impact on Hustler. I am told we will reach some kind of tentative agreement tomorrow morning on a replacement mower, Hustler has no interest in repairing the old mower. They did say they need the old mower back, I assume for a safety investigation.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was mowing last evening, the wind was blowing pretty good. I turned and the wind blew hot the exhaust on to my neck and back. I just about went into a panic thinking the mower was going up in flames. A very freaky experience!

Post like this makes one think. I need to put a fire extinguisher on my mower!
Old 04-26-2011, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I will be putting a fire extinguisher on the next one, no joke. If this mower had burst into flames on the back half of my property away from the garden hose, this event would have made the news.

The insurance answer is: This mower was covered under my homeowners policy because 1) It's sole purpose is to service the property, and 2) Fire is a covered calamity.

State Farm. It had nothing to do with declaring it as a line item or my umbrella policy.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Makes me want to mount an extinguisher on my mower too, but it would have to be green, red would clash too much with my Deere, or just make it look like Christmas all year long;-)

Luckily everything looks like it will work out for you, I think I need to get a hold of our insurance agent and check a few things out.