Register free!

Old 04-09-2011, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Please help

Need to buy a pole saw, the right one. Which one does everyone recommend? Echo or Stihl? Have many jobs which this will be handy for me on, need to buy the right one. Thanks in advance guys.
34" Exmark Phazer
21" Troy Bilt
Shindaiwa Trimmer T242 (x2)
Shindaiwa Edger LE 242
Shindaiwa Articulated Hedge Trimmer AHS231 (x2)
Shindaiwa EB802 Blower (x2)
Old 04-09-2011, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

LGL

I went Pest Control only in 2004 so any input I have is old school. I like Stihl equipment and still have a old 020 T that I use around the house now.

But what I do want tell everyone about 2 cycle Equipment is to USE PURE 100% GASOLINE and not Ethanol. Florida allows a 90 octane 100 % Gasoline to be sold for boats, RV and small engines. All Boat Marines will have this gasoline but I am buying mine from the local Petroleum dealer. Ethanol has alcohol which is a solve of Oil and makes the oil less effective in Two cycle mixes. It also is very hygroscopic or collects water. Another advantage is Pure Gasoline has a shelve life of about 6 months. Ethanol has a shelve life of about a Month and half.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We have 2 of the Echo units. No problems from either. I don't think you could go wrong with either Stihl or Echo, they both have a nice product.

We started using Echo 4 years ago and have never had a single problem that couldn't be fixed with regular maintenance (filters and plugs) and now our eXmark dealer carries Echo so it works out good for us.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I only use Echo.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
LGL

I went Pest Control only in 2004 so any input I have is old school. I like Stihl equipment and still have a old 020 T that I use around the house now.

But what I do want tell everyone about 2 cycle Equipment is to USE PURE 100% GASOLINE and not Ethanol. Florida allows a 90 octane 100 % Gasoline to be sold for boats, RV and small engines. All Boat Marines will have this gasoline but I am buying mine from the local Petroleum dealer. Ethanol has alcohol which is a solve of Oil and makes the oil less effective in Two cycle mixes. It also is very hygroscopic or collects water. Another advantage is Pure Gasoline has a shelve life of about 6 months. Ethanol has a shelve life of about a Month and half.
RIC, I've been thinking about this for a while now.
The cost/trouble/storage/logistics of buying straight gas instead of E10.
I use alot of old school Shindaiwa stuff and with the Echo merger, parts are quickly becoming an issue. The closest marina to me is about 25 miles away, which is not an problem for me.

How much are you buying at one time and please tell me how your are transporting and storing it? What is your approximate weekly usage and how far is your gas source from you? I'm just trying to figure out some options and what I might need as far as a setup to do this. Any suggestions?

It might be just as simple as some 10 gallon jugs to start with but I was curious as to how you were doing it.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob7233 View Post
I use alot of old school Shindaiwa stuff and with the Echo merger, parts are quickly becoming an issue. The closest marina to me is about 25 miles away, which is not an problem for me.

How much are you buying at one time and please tell me how your are transporting and storing it? What is your approximate weekly usage and how far is your gas source from you? I'm just trying to figure out some options and what I might need as far as a setup to do this. Any suggestions?

It might be just as simple as some 10 gallon jugs to start with but I was curious as to how you were doing it.
not to answer for ric, but he said he went straight pest control in 04 so I dont think he is using enough to have to store and transport as much as someone doing full service maintenance. think a few five gallon cans last him long enough to hold him over untill his route sends him by the dealer gain.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
not to answer for ric, but he said he went straight pest control in 04 so I dont think he is using enough to have to store and transport as much as someone doing full service maintenance. think a few five gallon cans last him long enough to hold him over untill his route sends him by the dealer gain.

Rob

Fl Land knows me so his answer about my usage is correct. I was using E-0 Pure Gasoline in my truck which is fuel injected. It is a Gas Hog and for a short period I was getting better mileage but adding all the extra junk to my tank. I did a cost study and have gone back to E-10 Ethanol for my truck.

How ever I have a bunch of older Equipment left over from the days when I had employees and did full service. I don't use that Equipment very often so I want a Gasoline that doesn't go stale in a Month. My Mechanic (who's name is Rob also) tells me my equipment, Especially Two Cycle will last a lot longer using E-0 100% Gasoline. Any thing that has a carburetor should benefit from E-0 Gasoline.

If I were still in business with crews running I would look into the Pick Up tanks like I see heavy Equipment operators using for Diesel. They are made to fit under a Tool box. An other solution might be the portable plastic tanks you can find at Northern Tool that hold 25 to 50 gallons.

BTW I am lucky in the fact I drive past the Dealer with E-0 gasoline several times a week. My usage is so low that a 5 gal can is only filled with about 3 gallons worth most of the time. But first of the Month I will be running my big Boom sprayer on a 25 acre job and I will be loading up on E-0 gasoline this week. That means about a whopping 10 gallons.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

Not sure where you're located but they sell straight gas in Mt Dora. I have yet to have a problem with ethanol.

As for the saw I have a ht101 I believe from stihl. I have had issues with the oiler since the first week. I want an Echo not only because of this but it's longer and you can buy an additional 5ft extension for the bigger unit. I assume your talking telescoping saws.