Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2011, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
There is probably something behind it other than your work quality.

One thing I have noticed is that some customers don't realize that if they never do anything to their lawn other than cut it, it will decline over time. So if you're the one doing hte cutting and the lawn keeps declining, it must be your fault in their eyes.
Not taking sides, but Mike may have already offered to do weed control and fert apps and the customer declined to have it done. Them finding someone else to cut it isn't going to make it better.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

"laying it over"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennington Lawncare View Post
I kinda know how you feel. I have this little old lady who told me that I wasn't cutting her grass, I was just laying it over. Yes, I was cutting a diagonal pattern and it striped up well enough for me to take a picture back before she complained.

She had her son inlaw start mowing it last summer after she complained and I guess he got tired of doing it so I got the call again this Spring. I am no longer striping her yard though since she doesn't appreciate how it looks. Just a bunch of left hand turns from now on and no striping. Now all the grass gets laid over the same direction so she can't tell.
I have heard other guys tell me this same thing. "laying it over" is this what some customers think when you stripe their yards?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
Not taking sides, but Mike may have already offered to do weed control and fert apps and the customer declined to have it done. Them finding someone else to cut it isn't going to make it better.
I asked if she was going with someone else because i know quite a few people in the lawncare industry in my area and I could recommend someone for her. I told her one way or the other I would make her happy with her lawn. If not me then I could get someone that could. She said she had already found someone. So after pondering on it awhile I'm starting to think lowballer or family member has got he job. As far as fert or weed control she didnt want anything done.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
I guess I made some assumptions based on him saying it was just a mow and go account. Just saying that they need someone to blame other then themselves...know what i mean?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

I take it personally if they threaten to drop me. I have only lost one customer over unstatisfied work. The other was BS excuses (they found someone cheaper). I took it personal because I gave them a deal to begin with and it wasn't good enough after a couple cuts (because the old neighborhood kid did it cheaper and raked it. I always give the best price and the best work so I take it personal but I remind them that if they decide they are not happy with their new lawn care service and call me back the deal is off and they will be charged full price from that day on. There are too many yard man/craftman mowing companies around to compete with on prices so I compete with appearance. When they stop getting compliments on their yards they'll come back.
Exmark 21 S series
Lawn Boy Gold Series Pro
Stihl fs90R
Stihl fs110
Stihl BR550
Stihl SH55 blower/vac
Stihl Sh 85 blower/vac
Stihl hs 45/ 24 "
6'x12' Quality trailer
http://www.facebook.com/CaptainsLawnService
Old 04-24-2011, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCaptain View Post
I take it personally if they threaten to drop me.
Ah no, much as I like to talk smack about not back talking to the customer but don't threaten to drop me
because it's about over right then and there, lets do it and get it over with so folks don't even try holding
that over my head because I will not work harder or cheaper on account of it.

I guess that's taking it personal lol

But I have learned, you can't give in to certain demands because once you do, it starts things off in a bad way.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Friend or foe...its not personal either way. Its time and money. If what they have to say is constructive then one should listen. If they are just in the loco weed then look upon it as having more room in the schedule for a better quality customer. Different markets may be different but if we kept every customer we started with here it would be us who are crazy.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Being a hands on company owner, I know how hard we work. I know how much care and passion we put into each job.

When some-one complains with no rational explanation, it can make me feel down.

If you're into astrology, Mercury was retrograde for the past few weeks and just went direct today. I believe that the B.S. will quiet down for a few weeks now.
John Lennon used to hide at home when Mercury was retrograde.
Believe what you will.

I have just gone through some really weird business dealings concerning non payment for late fees and breaches of contract with long term clients. There is alot of money involved here and the big management companies can play hardball to make themselves look good.

No-one seems to care what your solid contract states. Legal fees are expensive and either way it can cost your company its reputation in one form or another. People talk.

It's weird how people don't read their contracts. They tend to make up things at times and fight with us.....I try to compromise and suck hole as much as possible,
but some-times dealing with all of the problems does stress me out and make me angry.

I find that on average an HOA client stays two to three years. Once the council changes so does their perspective. The new council is always out to change the world.
The longest I held a single contract is nine years

Residential is a different game. I now get them to pay in advance for the month with a credit card for security and they have always signed a contract.

My secret business credo is "Don't trust any-body"

I do find it funny that she phoned and cancelled. Now adays every-body communicates and breaks-up using an e-mail or text messaging.

Last edited by Dr.NewEarth; 04-24-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: added conclusion
Old 04-24-2011, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what sucks is i lost a account to some neighborhood kid!
Old 04-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Sponsor

Don't take it personally

Don't take it personally you as long as you feel that you have done a good job and confident in your work i would just put it down to you will some and loose some, as long as you win more that you loose.

Buy Sell & Trade Lawn & landscaping route accounts. The online market place for route accounts.
http://Tradeyouraccounts.com
http://facebook.com/ServiceRoutes
http://twitter.com/ServiceRoutes