Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-24-2011, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

losing customers

Do any of you take it personal when you have a customer stop your services? I had a customer call me last night who I have been with for 5 years and tell me they were going to get someone else. I had no clue that they were going to do this, but it has aggravated the hell out of me since we hung up the phone. This yard is just a mow and go but yet i have always taken my time and made the yard look great. (at least I thought so) She just said she wasn't satisfied and that it looked like I needed to sharpen my blades! I have my blades sharpened by local shop (who does a great job) and change them every morning. This is the first time I have lost a customer due to something besides death,moving out of town,selleing their home,etc,etc,. I have never had someone cancel because they didnt like the way their lawn looked. Maybe Im blowing it out of perportion but its still pissing me off.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Member

if you really are mowing with sharp blades and doing a great job then don't worry about it she probably got a cheaper price and was just using that as an excuse
Old 04-24-2011, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Down the road from where they used to make Saturn cars.
I kinda know how you feel. I have this little old lady who told me that I wasn't cutting her grass, I was just laying it over. Yes, I was cutting a diagonal pattern and it striped up well enough for me to take a picture back before she complained.

She had her son inlaw start mowing it last summer after she complained and I guess he got tired of doing it so I got the call again this Spring. I am no longer striping her yard though since she doesn't appreciate how it looks. Just a bunch of left hand turns from now on and no striping. Now all the grass gets laid over the same direction so she can't tell.
2 Echo SRM-210
1 Echo SRM-225
Tanaka TCG22EASSLP
Husqvarna 125 & 150 BT
6.5' x 12 ' Trailer
Stihl 025 18"
Husqvarna 460 24"
Old 04-24-2011, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I try not to take it personally, but sometimes it's not easy. I just lost an account of about 1 year because the client did not read the service agreement they signed and were upset that things such as tree trimming were not being done even though the agreement specifically stated each service we were to provide. They also complained that we missed visits during the winter. I had to show them their SIGNED contract stating every other week visits during November, December, January, and February. In the long run I am better off without this PITA, but it still bothers me to lose an account, especially when they also failed to read the 30 termination clause and fired me with no notice. They are being billed for an additional 30 days, we'll see how it plays out.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

You get your blades sharpened every morning by a local shop?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't worry about it, she probably found someone cheaper but what really happened is she wouldn't have the heart to say that to you
because she knows deep inside that you did a good job and that it ain't right but she probably did what she had to do because times are tight.
Just let it go, it'll be all right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJT View Post
I sharpen them myself with the very same piece of equipment that the pro shop uses, and I mean every time the mower needs fuel, I put sharp blades on.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blevins View Post
Do any of you take it personal when you have a customer stop your services? I had a customer call me last night who I have been with for 5 years and tell me they were going to get someone else. I had no clue that they were going to do this, but it has aggravated the hell out of me since we hung up the phone. This yard is just a mow and go but yet i have always taken my time and made the yard look great. (at least I thought so) She just said she wasn't satisfied and that it looked like I needed to sharpen my blades! I have my blades sharpened by local shop (who does a great job) and change them every morning. This is the first time I have lost a customer due to something besides death,moving out of town,selleing their home,etc,etc,. I have never had someone cancel because they didnt like the way their lawn looked. Maybe Im blowing it out of perportion but its still pissing me off.
yard is just a mow and go .. dont take it personal . how much did she really care about the property if she only wanted a mow and go to begine with ?
most likly someone cheaper came in. or she did not know how to tell u she cant afford your service anymore . my guess is u will see the property owners cuttin the lawn themself or a new lawn guy to the business .
Old 04-24-2011, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You may think you are doing a great job in your mind. Witch you probably are. But in the customers mind they may think something else. Dont worry about it. Some customer thinks a good job is cutting the grass real short while other think it should be cut tall. Some like it edged some dont think it looks good edged ect. Cant make everyone happy. But I always leave on good terms. You never know they may call you back. Good luck I am sure you will find another lawn to take that spot.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is probably something behind it other than your work quality.

One thing I have noticed is that some customers don't realize that if they never do anything to their lawn other than cut it, it will decline over time. So if you're the one doing hte cutting and the lawn keeps declining, it must be your fault in their eyes.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

blade sharpening

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJT View Post
No I take my blades to a local shop to get sharpened and then pick them up. I will get 5 or 6 sets sharpened and then I will change after each day. If I am going to start the week with the townhouses I mow then I will put on my "special" blades and use them. These are the blades I sharpen myself and use only at these townhouses because of the things I have ran over.