Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2000, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Anyone know of a good, if any, herbicide to rid mondo grass and liriope of henbit. It's really bad. Don't want to remove and replace the plants if I don't have to as it would be rather costly. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2000, 09:54 PM

Have you ever tried to kill liriope with Roundup? I have and it's pretty darn hard to do. I'm sure the label won't tell you this but a low rate of Roundup will work, I have never tried it on mondo but I would'nt think there would be a difference. I used 1 and 1/2 oz. per gal.
Old 03-03-2000, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Am not familiar with southern problems, but do not sell the Roundup possibility to the customer. I know of situations that I can use roundup to clean grass out of other ground covers, but always sell it as a total kill, and replace the groundcover. Then when the groundcover survives, the customer is pleased with the much reduced cost. To sell a Roundup treatment as a selective control is against label directions, therefore is illegal.<p>Since henbit is an annual, it would be most functional to find a preemergent you could use, and apply in a timely manner in the future, so post-emerg control is not needed. <p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana<br>
Old 03-10-2000, 05:55 AM
LawnSite Member

You might consider using a product called Vantage. It is a selective herbacide that targets weeds in groundcovers. It cost about $100.00 a gallon. Good luck.
Old 03-10-2000, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Ranger. By the way, were you or one of your people here in Charlotte for a class in the last few days? I have seen that name somewhere in the last few days. Have a good one!
Old 03-10-2000, 09:14 PM

Vantage only kills grass it does'nt list any broadleaf weeds on the label. Don't buy it thinking it will take care of your henbit problem. It does work good on grasses though.