Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-17-2012, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
Just don't use allan block again, this isn't about saving money its about building a hardscape project that will last years. Unfortuneatly this one may not.
Unfortunately for my brother it was about saving money. I showed him other brands of pavers such as Unilock and Oaks but the very cheap price tag per sq ft was what was most important to them. And with my brother you cannot convice otherwise, sorry it's the way they are.

Are you saying this may not last due to the Allan Block/Atlas Hardscapes product? Or construction wise? Or both? Just curious.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Honestly I don't mind the negative feedback, it's really just going to make me want to think harder for the next time. If it was all "OOOOO's and AAAHH's" I'm just not going to learn anything and I didn't think I was going to be a master at this in any way.

Large Mistakes....

1.) Poor planning. This project changed from level it with this, no now level it with the pool deck, no now it needs to be here. Getting the stairs in and finished first, that would have set the level for the patio. Now I have a little trip hazard. "Measure 100X cut once". This mistake, poor planning, is by far the one that caused anything else to fail.

2.) Equipment rentals. Pieces and when to rent.

3.) Estimated time for completetion. At the end I rushed a little as it took me longer than estimated.

What I've gained......

Knowledge on tools that I didnt know before such as plate compactors, wet paver saws, and other simple things like screeding the sand bed, sweeping poly sand, edge restraints. When you've never used or done any of these things it's unfortunately a learn as you go process.

Knowledge on proper base construction and how time consuming and critical it is to have a project look great and last.

Knowledge in the amount of time it takes a project such as this and that many of my mistakes created time management issues.

If another project does come up I'd rather make sure it is a walkway or just a smaller patio before I dive into another one such as this again. It sure was an adventure and I'm sure I'll be shunned by some in this community but I'm glad I got to do it so I can be better prepared next time. Thanks again for any comments, suggestions, or whatever is and was offered.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
Unfortunately for my brother it was about saving money. I showed him other brands of pavers such as Unilock and Oaks but the very cheap price tag per sq ft was what was most important to them. And with my brother you cannot convice otherwise, sorry it's the way they are.

Are you saying this may not last due to the Allan Block/Atlas Hardscapes product? Or construction wise? Or both? Just curious.
Allan block is a hollow block and just doesn't stand up to abuse like the solid core blocks. The cap system allows very little contact with the block.
I would keep an eye on that clay brick and the buildup of efflorescence which will ultimately decay the brick. When putting brick to brick contact think of using a layer of blue skin or platton to keep air flow between the two.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good point on the caps. I had a tough time finding spots to glue them consistently. Noted on the brick. I don't think I'll use Allan block as I found a couple of close suppliers with other products. So if anything it'll save me drive time if I need to go back to the place.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2012, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Allan block is a hollow block and just doesn't stand up to abuse like the solid core blocks. The cap system allows very little contact with the block.
I would keep an eye on that clay brick and the buildup of efflorescence which will ultimately decay the brick. When putting brick to brick contact think of using a layer of blue skin or platton to keep air flow between the two.
Zedosix, do you have a recommendation on manufacturers that you have found to provide a better lasting hardscape product? Just curious.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
Zedosix, do you have a recommendation on manufacturers that you have found to provide a better lasting hardscape product? Just curious.
To date I find the techo mini creta or escala, they are pricey but worth it.
If you need a cheaper block that will last decades look to pisa or terrabloc from permacon. Another attractive block is from unilock called "roman-pisa" very similar to terrabloc. Another important factor is the tread depth size, techo has a nice 14" antique step cap and if curved go with the escala 15" cap. 12" is way to small for a tread depth.

Alot of us on here have been doing hardscapes for years, some of us decades and we are always learning. Don't be too hard on yourself just look, listen, learn and apply.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

As a clarification, many large retaining walls are made with block that is "hollow".

cornerstone block is a hollow core block, and it's one of the best names in the industry.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2012, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Don't be too hard on yourself just look, listen, learn and apply.
Thats the plan. I'm definitely hard on myself about it, but only so I remember these issues so they can be changed with the next project. Just gotta get more jobs under the belt. If I get more jobs I'll be investing in the small equipment like a compactor, saw and laser level. Just easier to have around than drive around to get. I'll rent the excavating equipment.

Again thanks...
Old 09-18-2012, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
As a clarification, many large retaining walls are made with block that is "hollow".

cornerstone block is a hollow core block, and it's one of the best names in the industry.

Posted via Mobile Device
I was referring to Allan block junior, the others I don't have experience with and won't comment on.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It was their Jumbo Junior as the Junior is no longer made. If that makes a difference...
Posted via Mobile Device