Register free!

Old 04-26-2011, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Md, I like the challenge you have in front of you, this is perfect to hone your hardscape skills. Try to build the area in front of the gate at the same grade of the pool and do a step up towards the patio. I would also do a wall along the remainder of the fence on the patio side. This way you could extend the patio away from the house and do a small flowerbed in front of the hydro meter. Replacing the steps would be a nice option as well. Anytime there is elevation involved the options are endless. I would love to draw it out for you but my eyes are sore from staring at the computer from drawing so much these past weeks. Good luck.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
Md, I like the challenge you have in front of you, this is perfect to hone your hardscape skills. Try to build the area in front of the gate at the same grade of the pool and do a step up towards the patio. I would also do a wall along the remainder of the fence on the patio side. This way you could extend the patio away from the house and do a small flowerbed in front of the hydro meter. Replacing the steps would be a nice option as well. Anytime there is elevation involved the options are endless. I would love to draw it out for you but my eyes are sore from staring at the computer from drawing so much these past weeks. Good luck.
Zedo,

Thanks for the ideas. Just for clarification on the gate area. First it swings towards the patio area. Lets say the gate opens up in a 4'x4' area, are you saying create an 4'x4' lower level with a step down on three sides with wall block? Sorry for the claification needs but it is really appreciated.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
Zedo,

Thanks for the ideas. Just for clarification on the gate area. First it swings towards the patio area. Lets say the gate opens up in a 4'x4' area, are you saying create an 4'x4' lower level with a step down on three sides with wall block? Sorry for the claification needs but it is really appreciated.
Yes exactly. You'll need to determine the appropriate distance required. On another note though, up here anyway, the codes demand that the gates swing inwards towards the pool not outwards.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
Yes exactly. You'll need to determine the appropriate distance required. On another note though, up here anyway, the codes demand that the gates swing inwards towards the pool not outwards.
Hmm,

My brother had it built by a contractor so I'm not sure I will ask him. Also I will be doing new steps out of wall block, just could not render it well enough in the design program. Like the idea of a planter around the meter, thanks! Thanks for the help, you are an experienced contractor and its great to have help. I'll make sure to post pics from start to finish to get the real "truth" from you guys!
Old 05-06-2011, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What is typically used behind steps for waterproofing the foundation? The stairs will be up against the brick in the picture on the first page. There is no basement there. Also would you leave a gap between the left side of the steps and the siding or remove the siding and build to that foundation? Any preferences?

Really looking forward to doing this project and this type of work. Thanks for all the help and I will make sure to take as many pics from start to finish.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
What is typically used behind steps for waterproofing the foundation? The stairs will be up against the brick in the picture on the first page. There is no basement there. Also would you leave a gap between the left side of the steps and the siding or remove the siding and build to that foundation? Any preferences?

Really looking forward to doing this project and this type of work. Thanks for all the help and I will make sure to take as many pics from start to finish.
Any type of waterproof shield like blue skin or the like will work. Some of them stick quite well, others tend to need a type of caulking beaded on the cement to help it stick. (sorry can't think of the name at the moment)
Old 05-06-2011, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

No gap on the left side, bring the steps right across and butt into the wall. Have someone finish the siding around it for you.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So hopefully this project will get completed this year as there were some financial issues that put it on hold for my brother last year. As long as its a go I will definitely be posting before, during, and after pics and looking forward to either a bashing, critiquing, or by mere chance some helpful pointers. That gate will be the biggest pita to work around but it is what it is. He should have done the patio first!! Maybe we can have a redo of the fence......
Old 02-18-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Raise the area, use 6x6 post as retainer (or stone), then patio has to be cut in were the gate is. Thinking one step down. You don't have much options

Bucket Truck/Chipper

Landscapes/Hardscapes

7 Trucks
2 Loaders
1 Mini skid steer
A Army of MEN

Old 07-21-2012, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well hopefully in the next coming weeks this project will be getting done. Just need the go ahead from my brother and get the pile of money in place to buy materials and rent equipment. Looks like we've decided the best course of action is to get rid of the black fence and build the patio up to the deck with the deck being a step up still using a 12 inch "wall" by the deck and around the side. Anything to think about when building next to a garage slab as under the garage is not the basement or their screen porch. It's Just a pad and stone. Anything to think about? Really looking forward to this. And hopefully not screwing up too badly.
Posted via Mobile Device