Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-03-2002, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

swap pickup bed for dump?

I was looking at a Dodge ram 3500 4x4 with dual rears, and was wondering if you can take the pickup body off and throw a dump body on it and if so is it to expensive to even consider or reasonable. I already have a dump truck but its only a 4x2 and was hoping to get a 4x4 for the winter. I know I can just go buy a 4x4 dump truck but the dodge is very clean, and within my budget.
Old 10-03-2002, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know its an option on ford not sure about dodge. It is the pickup delete option. It will cost you at least 3k for a hoist and body though.
Old 10-03-2002, 10:03 PM
Banned

Have you considered a dump insert? Around $1800 - $2000.

www.ezdumper.com ( I think that's the address).
Old 10-04-2002, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Member

I was thinking of an the dumper insert, but wasn't sure on what wait it would lift, but after checking out the website, it may workout better.
I was thinking the dump and hydrolic body would run around 3k, well now I have some good options to think about, thanks guys.
Old 10-04-2002, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what are your thoughts on ur dump truck now? would taking the dump off that and putting it on the new truck be an option???
Old 10-04-2002, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I was actually thinking about that, Since I just had the dump body painted, it looks good as new, and I have no problems with the hydrolics, so I may look into that. The only downfall to that is I don't know if someone would then buy my stripped dump truck, (which I would sell if I got the dodge) not that people are banging down my door to buy it now. But your right that is an option which I may consider.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Member

The thing to consider about P/U trucks is the frame is wider compared to a true Cab and Chassis truck so alot of aftermarket body manufacturers don't have bodies to fit wide frames. The true cab and chassis trucks are heavier springs and frame aswell the gvw maybe higher.

Myself I would put a dump bed on the truck instead of of buying one of those inserts. You will never have the features you want and they inserts don't hold as much material as a standard dump body.

A dump box and hoist is going to cost ya some bucks but they are worth it if you have alot of work for it.
Old 10-07-2002, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Your right about the insert not holding as much. My first thought is that I won't be dumping large weights but there are always those times, that I will be kicking myself in the back if I do go with the insert. I might hold off until next year and then decide: But the insert is a possible answer for me but not the one I want.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Member

gravel rat is right about the frame being wider but also is not flat so you will have to make some shims to level it out. it also will not be able to hall nearly as much as a cab and chassis.