Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-14-2011, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Driveway Sealing advertising ideas

Hey Guys and Ladies,

I am starting an asphalt maintenance service in the Washington D.C. region. I used to live in the Shenandoah Valley of VA and have lot's of experience with asphalt.

As with most people, funds are short, so this is what I am doing. Please give me your thoughts. I wrote up a 2 pg front/back newsletter describing how to look out for scammers and a bit about myself. With this I am including a card with the price of the job on the back, a copy of my license and a copy of my Insurance certificate. This shows that I am local and legal. All of this goes in a clear sleeve and hung on the garage door handle. The first day I put out 50 and got 4 jobs. These are in higher end($650,000) and up neighborhoods.

So what do you think? Any ideas on reaching the higher end clients or just any ideas at all?

Thanks,
Brad
Old 04-15-2011, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bring that newsletter with you and go directly speak with every home owner.
Complete lawn care services
Old 04-24-2011, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Thats something similar to what i do. One thing to remember is to avoid getting overly carried away when educating a potential customer about lowballers and travelers. Its true customers need to be informed about these guys but when it comes to the point a contractors written literature portrays them as being on par with super villains it can come across as being a bit offensive to a customers intelligence.

One thing you might want to do is keep track of your solicitations and sales closings ratios. This might seem like a unnecessary waste of time but in due time you will learn that when you talk to "x-number" of people in a neighborhood composed of "x-number" of houses with a "x-amount" construction / real estate value that you will close a particular number of sales for a particular amount of sales hours and sales expense.

Suppose that you are experiencing a 25 to 01 sales closing ratio meaning that for every 25 individuals you talk to you manage to close 01 sale. this means when you talk to 75 individuals and close 00 number of sales but yet you talk to an additional 25 individuals and then close 04 sales out of that final 25 individuals. That will give you a proven 25 to 01 or a 100 to 04 sales ratio. If a person wasnt aware of this ratio they might give up before they communicated with the final 25 customers that yielded the 04 closed sales.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Dont listen to those guys that advise you against doing the door knocking thing. And dont lower your prices to compete with some fool who is stumbling blindly off into a ditch or you will soon end up in the ditch with him.
Prior to last Christmas i had five guys call me up trying to sell me fairly new and well maintained seal coating rigs for what would have been junk iron prices. These were they guys that were spraying for $0.08 and $0.09 psft. Where as they had been previously competing for driveways three months later they were competing for who to sell thier seal coating rigs at rock bottom prices.

Remember when using a previous customer as a reference make every effort possible to be sure that customer is not a simpleton and always periodicaly go back and take a look at the referenced job. My second year i had a reference customer whos name and location i was giving to new customers where i told them to go out and look at that particular job. I had every one of the jobs sold but then it seemed every single one of them were changing their minds stating they didnt want their drives done. One day i happened to drive by the reference customers house and noticed the sealer was showing serious signs of failure. I had very clearly explained to this particular customer it was my intention to use them for a reference in that part of the county. I explained that future customers would be stopping to look at it and therefore if they any little out of the ordinary thing seemed to be going wrong to immedately call me to solve the problem. Which she said she would be glad to agree to this.
This customer commenced to telling me she knew the sealer was failing a month after it was applied in June and seventeen months later in November im just learning that it had failed. Then the woman wanted me to re-seal it because i had given her a eighteen month warranty. I then wasted fifteen minutes ob breathe atempting to explain to this thick head that the bulk plant had shut down for the winter due to the off season months.