Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2013, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In the market for a mini excavator.. Which one?

Hey guys I'm going to start looking for a nice used mini excavator. I would like to hear from some people that have Actual experience with some.. I have a nice sized lawn and landscaping business and I was wondering what would be a good all around size for me to do a lot of landscaping and whatever I may need to do.. Don't want anything tiny with no strength or power.. Please people that have experience fill me in... Thanks
Old 02-18-2013, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey there, I actually work at a Robert-Cat dealership.... Get it? We do sales, sevice, and we have a rental shop as well.. I just work there super part time because I obviously have a lawn care business to run but I thought I could give you some tips about these certain machines... Disclaimer: Like I said, I work part time so I really don't have any stake in how well this company does... Just a guy that has gotten an inside look at great machines.. And they really are great... Sounds like for what you are doing..... you might want to look at the E-32 or E-42? Even the E-26 which is probably the smallest you would want to go without feeling like you are playing with a Tonka excavator, is rated at almost 2000 lbs for lift....( Decent sized stones/stumps/trees) Most of the Robert Cat mini ex's come with the Kubota Diesel which really are great engines with proper maintenence.... And here's a great tip...... Not sure if they all do it but the dealership that I work at has a rental shop like I said,,, however ALL of our rental units are for sale... It is a really great way to get an awsome deal on a slightly or minimally used machine... I mean, even a machine with a lot of hours is better coming from Robert Cat rather than some company owner... They do maintence up the wazzooo on them after every rental... Just some things to think about and just so you know, I have run CAT mini ex's and I think they are great as well, just have more experience with the Robert Cats..
Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the tip.. A little to far to be hauling a mini cross states...
Old 02-18-2013, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ive got a Yuchai YC13 20hp diesel with a ditch bucket, trench bucket, extra standard bucket, and a clamshell, Id be willing to sell. It has just over 200 hours so other than the weather its like new. Id need about 11500$.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would like one with a thumb on it.. I know id use it all the time.. Don't think I'd be interested in that one sorry
Old 02-19-2013, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear you but you don't have to cross state lines....What about Leppo's?????? They do rentals right? I would assume that they have the same thing going on.... They are right in your town! All of the models that I previously mentioned come standard with thumbs....
Old 02-19-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I called them today they are insane with prices.. I'll just wait for the c.l deal of the week lol
Old 02-20-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, the c.l deal of the week is an awesome way to go too... I am a huge fan of c.l!!!!! I'ts like one giant garage sale, you never know what you're gonna get... I actually just picked up a 2003 F-350 with a 10ft dump bed, 57,000, a 8 ft. western plow, for 7,000$$ That, is why I LOVE c.l
Old 03-21-2013, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Got about 1200 hrs on a JD 35d , super machine , have couple hundred hours on a 27 as well , for landscaping the 27 is a great choice
Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I really like my Bobcat 1700 hrs no problems just regular Maintenance . The thumb is great make sure you get one ! Keep in mind dump height so it's big enough to load your trucks,trailers etc.