Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-28-2011, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Lesco Commercial 80# broadcast spreader question?

I recently bought one from a business owner in almost new condition for $100!
I have read up on the throw and it seems to be 10 o' clock and 3 o' clock pattern. I bought a few bags of pelletized lime and set it on #12 to just practice with it yesterday. I do NOT have the deflector, but made a cardboard deflector to practice with before I put down Momentum in a few days....
I have read some more senior members do a counter-clockwise perimeter run with the deflector and the 3rd hole closed. THEN, they remove the deflector and open the 3rd hole and continue to run in circles till they are done overlapping the last set of tire tracks.
I have also read where some people run back and forth runs with it.....
I played with it yesterday for a few hours and I THINK I like the back and forth method better. I noticed that my right hand side seems to throw out farther than the left (10 and 3 pattern). When I would turn around to do my next strip, I would have about 2 ft on my left side and 3 foot on my right side. Any suggestions before I put my app down?
It also seemed to get stuck occasionally in the holes and stop spreading!!!??
I would be running along and would actually hear the lime slow down coming out of the holes. That would certainly affect my application rate too!! I tilted the spreader backward and could see a few larger particles stuck in the holes. Used a knife to clear it out and it would work fine. I used the screen that cam with it too.

Question is-is there a finer mesh screen that Lesco sells (or whee could I get it) that would "filter" out the larger particles better than that large screen that I have? I understand it has to let the particles throught but need a finer one.
Thanks to all that can help me out!!!
Square footage is 18,819ft2 and one 50lb bag covers 13,800 ft2.
Thanks!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoGreen View Post
I recently bought one from a business owner in almost new condition for $100!
I have read up on the throw and it seems to be 10 o' clock and 3 o' clock pattern. I bought a few bags of pelletized lime and set it on #12 to just practice with it yesterday. I do NOT have the deflector, but made a cardboard deflector to practice with before I put down Momentum in a few days....
I have read some more senior members do a counter-clockwise perimeter run with the deflector and the 3rd hole closed. THEN, they remove the deflector and open the 3rd hole and continue to run in circles till they are done overlapping the last set of tire tracks.
I have also read where some people run back and forth runs with it.....
I played with it yesterday for a few hours and I THINK I like the back and forth method better. I noticed that my right hand side seems to throw out farther than the left (10 and 3 pattern). When I would turn around to do my next strip, I would have about 2 ft on my left side and 3 foot on my right side. Any suggestions before I put my app down?
It also seemed to get stuck occasionally in the holes and stop spreading!!!??
I would be running along and would actually hear the lime slow down coming out of the holes. That would certainly affect my application rate too!! I tilted the spreader backward and could see a few larger particles stuck in the holes. Used a knife to clear it out and it would work fine. I used the screen that cam with it too.

Question is-is there a finer mesh screen that Lesco sells (or whee could I get it) that would "filter" out the larger particles better than that large screen that I have? I understand it has to let the particles throught but need a finer one.
Thanks to all that can help me out!!!
Square footage is 18,819ft2 and one 50lb bag covers 13,800 ft2.
Thanks!
I couldn t find one so I found some rabbit fence wire that was smaller holes laid that under the screen cheap fix
Old 04-28-2011, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks! What about my other issues? Do you go back and forth or around and around?
Thanks again!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The way I applicate is a perimeter pass to cut in the lawn. Then I go back and forth turning the spreader off at the end of each pass. If you dont you are not at the right rate in turns. As far as the mesh goes you can get 2 lesco mesh screens and zip tie them together staggered to make a smaller hole.