Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-28-2011, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your help on my mower decision, Ferris 2500Z

I just wanted to thank everyone on here with their posts and replies on ZTR's. I've been reading over this forum for over a year trying to make my decision and after all I've read there are lots of great mowers! But I knew I wanted Diesel and was torn between the Kubota and the Ferris, but after riding my buddies Ferris 5100Z I was sold on the ride. Never did get to Demo the Ferris 2500Z like I had hoped but just made a few calls and a local dealer had been sitting on this one for awhile and I believe list around here in Kansas is just under 12K for this machine, they had it marked down to 10k, so I figured I'd better jump on it while I had the chance. After my first mowing with it yesterday I can't say enough I love it, its the Ferris 2500Z 61" cut with 24hp Yanmar Diesel and ICD deck. The only thing I found you gotta watch for is when you come to a stop while mowing and not stop to fast, cause it will compress the front suspension and cut shorter where you stopped than the rest of the yard, but just something I'm sure I'll get a feel for with time. Once again thanks to everyone for your help and comments!

Preston
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2011, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Congratulations, that is a nice mower at a nice price. I'm sure it will serve you well.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

They are a nice little diesel.

FYI your ROPS are installed wrong.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice mower, i'm looking to buy a Ferris but worried about the deck. Post some pics of the cut, would love to see some stripes of the ICD deck.

This mower has a fuel gauge....

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 04-28-2011, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Most diesels do. Do you know why?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Every Z i have ever run has one, do you know why? Scag has one, toro has one, Exmark has one, Ferris has one. Why is that?

IMPEACH OBAMA

Old 04-28-2011, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sweet diesel collection you got going. Actually the deck cannot dive to cut shorter upon quick stops. Only if the front tires are too low and compress as with any mower. Ferris has engineered the suspension to eliminate any deck dive along with the obvious benefits. The shocks will compress for your benefit but the deck stays put. The deck is attached to the frame rails and the operator is suspended above. Have fun!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah I didn't think that ROPS was right, Thanks, its got a recall on some pully or something I'll let the dealer fix that as well as the roll bar!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I'll try to get some pics soon of the cut, still trying to perfect the strips and cut height. First round cut at 3" wich is probably a bit short and come in behind a 48" cut so it jacked up the stripes that were already there. Also my thoughts on the Fuel gage on diesels I believe cause its a lot more of an issue if you run the diesel out of fuel vs doing the same on the gas. Its never fun cracking injectors to prime a diesel.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionMan View Post
I'll try to get some pics soon of the cut, still trying to perfect the strips and cut height. First round cut at 3" wich is probably a bit short and come in behind a 48" cut so it jacked up the stripes that were already there. Also my thoughts on the Fuel gage on diesels I believe cause its a lot more of an issue if you run the diesel out of fuel vs doing the same on the gas. Its never fun cracking injectors to prime a diesel.
I will look forward to the pics. Don't worry about the fuel gauge, just pointing it out to those who are clueless. Bad ars mower tho, enjoy that baby. Ferris is the chit.

IMPEACH OBAMA