Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHlandscaping View Post
Why is it so hard to teach guys how to weed wack ?? Im on my 3rd guy this spring. when edging they either go to low or to much in ......I know im not the only one who has this problem
No your not. Read my post "Let down again by employee expectations". This guy put a huge hole in a down spout, weed waked the foam insulation off the side of this foundation and put a nice half circle in a very nice lawn because he thought he could bump the head in the lawn. Like I said in another post I replied to....Ive just about given up on hiring new employee's. I actually called a old employee from Cleveland to come back and he said yes!!!

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 04-30-2011, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I always tell employee(s) to blend it in and keep it same level as my mowing height ..

Michigan has two seasons, winter and road construction.....!!!

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest. Ecclesiastes 9:10
Old 04-30-2011, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sometimes the teacher is teaching wrong Who cant push a edger. If you are edging with a trimmer then you are doing it wrong So teach them right.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Pride View Post
lol you wear a "strap" with your trimmer? Oh lord...

All you need is yo trimmer and your shades. Not the bs safety gloves, safety underwear, safety this safety that.
Whats wrong using a strap
i have to use a strap with my trimmers they are design for one
You run a backpack blower I run a handheld
You run a handheld trimmer I run a Shoulder strap trimmer
Whats the difference ??
Old 04-30-2011, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Whats wrong using a strap
i have to use a strap with my trimmers they are design for one
You run a backpack blower I run a handheld
You run a handheld trimmer I run a Shoulder strap trimmer
Whats the difference ??
Well, one way is really really stupid and gay, and the other is our way lol

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Old 04-30-2011, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

One trick I picked up on early was not using enough line.

When I use a trimmer, I tend to have a lot of line out. Probably more than you should. Its not good for the machine, but I find it a heck of a lot better job with long lines.

After 15 years, I still cant do a nice job if I keep the guard on and let the line cut where the manufacturer thinks its should. But when I got that bastard strung out like a helicopter I can mow an entire yard with the thing as good as a mower.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agape View Post
Well, one way is really really stupid and gay, and the other is our way lol
Exactly

lulz
Old 04-30-2011, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What comes to mind is "blank can't dance" and now "blank can't learn to trim" go figure. We have a brand new guy that never worked in the industry and in less than a month is doing both edging and t rimming just like a pro. Oh he isn't a "blank" guy.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My new guy starts on Monday!!! After getting over 40 voicemails for one part time spot from craigslist I found a brother of an acquantance that seems motivated and wants to work! Nothing like breaking a new guy in when I am soooooo behind and picking up quite a few new accounts to keep us running crazy.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

every person expects differently from trimming and edging and for a guy to tell you he is trained doesnt mean he isnt great just not to your standard. 90% of the problem with new guys is we expect it our way after going ok ron here it is let me see what you got .
then they get nervus once yo ugo out and go wait a dang minute what is this i cant bill them with this sheit ..... its all in how we manage the trainning .

The strap is Gaaaaaaay lol we you 223L husqvarnas and the poster on them is right with the guard on you can hit the ground all day at 1/2 throttle and you get good looks it floats . its almost idiot proof withthem they will bounce off where others will dig in and cut out a U shaped no no .

when they come out we show them how our guys do it , then we give them 15 minutes of opperations to get fimilur with the new weight and then we take them out in the main lot and tell them a false job order
...... ok ron i need you to cut me out at least a 30'x45' square i want it to be blended in to look mowed when we come back .we give them 5 minutes to finish ,5 minutes pass we measure the spot and judge the quality then we do it again with trimming around 400 concrete blocks ......we explain how we expect to hear the whissle or they need to bump it and we run test 2
then we show them how to spool the unit and give then 5 minuts to learn the process then we test them and note the time...if they work out good up untill then but they dont make our time to respool we will send them home with a foot assembly and tell then in the morning we wil lretest. we give a person 2 minute total from the time the engine hits the ground to take it apart pull off the string spool and respool and start the engine . if they cant get it we give them 1 day in the field and we fire more over the spooling then the quality.
Closed Thread