Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

also i cant believe a poster made the statements he dont care how fast a person weedeats and trims then turned around and made a comment about trimming arounda mail box and how his guy trimmed 2'' and needed to trim 2' its all about effecincy and that isnt a business idea he is spreading its a hobby and a kids idea. everyone in the business knows its about trimming the right amount of area the first time at the right height as fast as possible with the proper quality .time is money and anything less is pointless. and most every person will have a higher standard in high visible areas where the homeowner can easily see and the farther away from view they get the lower the quality gets untill its a 5. or just keeping the height down
Old 04-30-2011, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep I was quite pleased Friday with my one buddy who surprised me. (He worked with me a couple months last year and that's when I trained him)

I've found the best thing to do is actually take the time to completely show the guy how to do EVERYTHING regarding trimming and edging. Once you do that, give him a week to break in, and then there are no excuses.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Pride View Post
Yep I was quite pleased Friday with my one buddy who surprised me. (He worked with me a couple months last year and that's when I trained him)

I've found the best thing to do is actually take the time to completely show the guy how to do EVERYTHING regarding trimming and edging. Once you do that, give him a week to break in, and then there are no excuses.
good plan, to many people get handed a weed wacker and told go weed wack this large commercial property

take the time to show them the proper angle to the ground, the right length , do it over and over if you have to, not on a paying customers property though

and show them how to not make a mess with the clippings , explain to them ,where the mower cant go needs trimmed

and most important for big properties show them how to come up with an efficient pattern , or show them yours that you use

nothing kills more time than a guy wondering around looking for grass to trim
lawnboy 21
bobcat 36 48 wb
redmax trimmers blowers
traler vac 16hp vanguard
scag sw52a-17ka
350 dump

lesco spreaders and tanks
Old 04-30-2011, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If they've never done it before may as well teach them to trim lefty. It's so much easier trimming with a straight shaft trimmer lefty...none of this walking sideways/backwards.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoetschOutdoor View Post
My new guy starts on Monday!!! After getting over 40 voicemails for one part time spot from craigslist I found a brother of an acquantance that seems motivated and wants to work! Nothing like breaking a new guy in when I am soooooo behind and picking up quite a few new accounts to keep us running crazy.
Oh my Gosh!! you put your Phone # in the ads!!?? you really may be a doetsch lol JK

I put my email and that I want a resume' and I get 20+ "hi I'm interested, call me!" and " I mow my own yard" (delete)

I seriously don't want these people to have my #

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Old 04-30-2011, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
If they've never done it before may as well teach them to trim lefty. It's so much easier trimming with a straight shaft trimmer lefty...none of this walking sideways/backwards.
I just yesterday began to try to train myself lefty after doing back walk for 14 years. ( Acouple of my accounts will have to forgive me lol) I go a lot faster, too fast and i bump my right hand with my knee. grrrr...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Old 04-30-2011, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLS View Post
also i cant believe a poster made the statements he dont care how fast a person weedeats and trims then turned around and made a comment about trimming arounda mail box and how his guy trimmed 2'' and needed to trim 2' its all about effecincy and that isnt a business idea he is spreading its a hobby and a kids idea. everyone in the business knows its about trimming the right amount of area the first time at the right height as fast as possible with the proper quality .time is money and anything less is pointless. and most every person will have a higher standard in high visible areas where the homeowner can easily see and the farther away from view they get the lower the quality gets untill its a 5. or just keeping the height down
That was me there pedro and I can promise you, It ain't as crucial as you're making it out to be. I tell my guy take your time and make a good edge, also do all of your trimming as you go so you don't have to double time it. It's just me and him and he always finishes before I do when I'm cutting and starts blowing, so you tell me where the error lies in that??? There is no time to be made up, we always sinc up at the very end right about the same time.

I used to work for a guy who thought like you. Me and my buddy ran his company and he paid $10/hr after we both got used to the yards. He wasn't willing to pay us when things just took longer than 30 minutes per yard to do it THE RIGHT WAY, SO he said yall got 20 lawns to do and so I'm paying you for 10 hrs of work each no matter how long it takes you. SO we hauled ass right, burned through yards making his precious little 30 minutes a yard time. Well, I don't care what ya say when you have to rush everything quality IS going to take a hit. He ended up folding and losing all his customers. Lord knows whatever happened to him.

My point is, everyone runs a different operation. I happen to be in the business of selling quality work where we focus more on doing a good job than the clock. I let my customers know this too, and they eat it up. In all my 10 years never lost an account that switched to someone else. Only for valid reasons like moving, $$$, etc. Like I said though, even though my helper takes his time he still finishes about 5 minutes before me while I'm finishing cutting the back so by the time I'm loading up the mower, we roll. We still make great time on yards but if I have to spend 10 more minutes at a house to make it right, I do, and it always pays off. That's what makes the difference between 90% Avg. Joe Mow, blow, and go, and what we do.

You still feel the same about me telling my guy to take his time AKA "do quality work"?

Griffin
Old 04-30-2011, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Pride View Post
lol you wear a "strap" with your trimmer? Oh lord...

All you need is yo trimmer and your shades. Not the bs safety gloves, safety underwear, safety this safety that.
I use a strap and even a full harness sometimes with my bike handlebar trimmer but that's for hard core weed wacking and you really can't use it without one or the other.

My son just stopped using a strap with his trimmer (Husqvarna 125L). He's short and has to keep his right arm up pretty high to get the proper angle and would get tired. Now that he's a bit older and taller and stronger he can get by without it.

The problem with a strap is that you're so limited in where you can put the trimmer. You can't reach it down a slope or poke it under a bush.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

What is the benefit of edging with a string trimmer left handed? I do it right handed and can do it better than any edger could possibly do so Im just wondering why would you want to do it left handed?
Old 04-30-2011, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear you but basically my thinking is there is no excuse for a healthy grown man 16+ to ever wear a strap. Man up and hold the dang trimmer. This is why I bought my redmax. It weighs nothing, I lovez it.