Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-29-2011, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Member

The hardest thing about this industry for me is...

Not finding the business, not doing the work, not talking to customers, not keeping an eye on the $$$$$$. Its the..............................

EMPLOYEES!

I got everything from stupid to lazy to just plain ignorant people.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

have you got a thief yet?
Old 04-29-2011, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yep, I feel your pain.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

left a guy on a jobsite last week so that I could go to a doctors appt. (yeah, I know so shut up in advance) Anyhow, I told him, while I'm gone I want you to pull everything green out of the bed. Plants, grass, weeds everything. My appt. ran longer than I expected and I was gone for about two hours. After my appt. I called him to let him know I was done and on my way back 10 minutes tops. I asked if he was standing around yet. "nope, all most done". I think, well this should have been done 45 minutes ago. I get back to the jobsite, an see that he is pulling every bit of grass etc.. out by hand. I actually just chuckled. I walked up and said, boy, I bet a hoe and a garden rake would make this a LOT easier. He goes "yeah it would" with one of those if I could only win the lottery kind of tones. I say, why dont you go over to the trailer and see if we have anything like that. About 30 seconds later I hear, "man Im a dumbazz". I said its alright bud, but if there is a job to do, I have a tool for it. All you gotta do is look. So he added about an hour and a half to a small job. Oh well. That why he doesnt drive the truck and pay the bills.

RIP SFC Hall, SGT Forest, CPL Pautsch.I will never forget you guys!

I am the Infantry! Follow me!
Old 05-01-2011, 03:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why was he not trained to know that ?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee View Post
left a guy on a jobsite last week so that I could go to a doctors appt. (yeah, I know so shut up in advance) Anyhow, I told him, while I'm gone I want you to pull everything green out of the bed. Plants, grass, weeds everything. My appt. ran longer than I expected and I was gone for about two hours. After my appt. I called him to let him know I was done and on my way back 10 minutes tops. I asked if he was standing around yet. "nope, all most done". I think, well this should have been done 45 minutes ago. I get back to the jobsite, an see that he is pulling every bit of grass etc.. out by hand. I actually just chuckled. I walked up and said, boy, I bet a hoe and a garden rake would make this a LOT easier. He goes "yeah it would" with one of those if I could only win the lottery kind of tones. I say, why dont you go over to the trailer and see if we have anything like that. About 30 seconds later I hear, "man Im a dumbazz". I said its alright bud, but if there is a job to do, I have a tool for it. All you gotta do is look. So he added about an hour and a half to a small job. Oh well. That why he doesnt drive the truck and pay the bills.
That's pretty funny.
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 05-01-2011, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Texting drives me CRAZY!!! the other day, guy was raking mulch,and I watched him stop about 10 times to txt his girlfriend. I timed him a couple of times. On avg took 30secs to txt. Probably another 15s to stop, pull the phone out, and get going. That is 45s of my time. After 10 txt, he has cost me $1.50 in his labor (he makes $12/hr). I finally just put my foot down. Lesson will probably last till next weekend.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Member

In the past i have had just temporary part time employees. This year i have permanant part time employees. I have the problem with taking breaks to smoke, because i told them not to smoke on the mowers. AND the phone thing as well. I thought about telling them to leave the phone in the truck, but then how do I get a hold of them if i need them? walkie talkie? I don't know. I also thought about paying them on budgeted hours instead of actual hours. If a property should take 3 hrs and it takes them 5, they get paid for 3.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee View Post
That's funny, seems like a lot of younger folks are lacking in common sense now days.
Complete lawn care services
Old 05-01-2011, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGauvreau View Post
That's funny, seems like a lot of younger folks are lacking in common sense now days.
Unfortunately thats how it is. I find it appalling that kids my age don't/can't mow a lawn.

Your 16-17 and you have never used a mower? are you KIDDING ME!!!

Gravely
Scag
Ferris
Echo
Stihl