Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2011, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

These are the kinds workers out there today. Then they complain they only get paid 10-15 dollars an hour.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2011, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe View Post
I have the problem with taking breaks to smoke, because i told them not to smoke on the mowers.
I don't allow ANY smoking while they are on the job -- from the minute they arrive in the morning until the time they leave. I have fired more than a few workers after I smelled cigarette smoke in the cab of a truck at the end of a day. Although I can't control what they do on their own time, I advertise for, and try to hire, people who do not smoke. First, in my opinion, it makes a very bad customer impression. Second, don't want my trucks smelling like smoke or getting cigarette burns on the seats, etc. Third, I don't like smelling the smoke on their clothes.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I know you can buy Apps for phone such as the iPhone, etc. Wish you could buy a 99 cent App for kids these days. It sure would be useful. And if you fire them just delete the App so they are the same stupid self as when they started.

WISHFUL THINKING!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2011, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I am 39 soon to be 40 in the next couple of months. I will admit it, I was a smart ass know it all while growing up. I used to hear the older guys say this and that about my generation and I would snip back and say yeah, yeah yeah whatever buddy. Now that I am older I see exactly what they must have saw x 10. The difference with the youngsters today is they have zero mechanical skills. If I ever asked one of them to grab a 1/2 drive and a 11/16 socket I am afraid of what they would come back with. This is why the trades schools are empty and their is no longer a wood shop, auto shop or a metal shop in many high schools. But there are plenty of computer clubs, gaming clubs and study halls. In this day and age everybody goes to college (not that that is a bad thing) but it makes it harder for a person of lesser education to get a job even at a retail level. Even worse some with the drive to succeed get the back seat to a lesser driven type person because the employer is thinking they got a winner. What makes it worse is this society today breeds this.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
Dang!...I just had to let my son go, due to my loosing a big contract. Where are all those jobs for an experienced lawn worker? He's going to have to do something soon. Maybe relocate. Jobs here in SW Ohio are just nonexistant.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm lucky - my two younger brothers work hard and don't complain.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitelawnteam1 View Post
Unfortunately thats how it is. I find it appalling that kids my age don't/can't mow a lawn.

Your 16-17 and you have never used a mower? are you KIDDING ME!!!
That's because there are plenty of guys like us who take care of the lawn so they do not have to and any other tasks that do not involve a phone or computer.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-02-2011, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Unfortunately thats how it is. I find it appalling that kids my age don't/can't mow a lawn.

Your 16-17 and you have never used a mower? are you KIDDING ME!!!
Thats the youth these days. I my self am 16 and started my little lawn service to just make some money and get experience. My friends simply dont get it that I wanna work my A*S of on the weekends to make money. THey rather sit around all day in side playing xbox, and when they need money they need their sugar daddy to pay for it. Sometime i just dont get it.
Bad Boy ZT 50inch deck.
Stihl FS 90R
Stihl BR550 back pack blower.
Craftsman 208cc Snowblower 26''
Plus miscellaneous equipment

Solo Operation
www.baslawnservice.com
Picture Thread

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=347985
Old 05-07-2011, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutch16 View Post
Thats the youth these days. I my self am 16 and started my little lawn service to just make some money and get experience. My friends simply dont get it that I wanna work my A*S of on the weekends to make money. THey rather sit around all day in side playing xbox, and when they need money they need their sugar daddy to pay for it. Sometime i just dont get it.
Uh, unless young guys today are REALLY a lot more feminine that we were, you may be mistaken as to what the term "sugar daddy" implies.

Then again, a lot of them look like they'd rather do that than break a sweat working.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Grounds Maintenance View Post
Not finding the business, not doing the work, not talking to customers, not keeping an eye on the $$$$$$. Its the..............................

EMPLOYEES!

I got everything from stupid to lazy to just plain ignorant people.
1. You hired them. You get what you pay for.
2. You sound like a real top notch boss.... I mean, who uses their company name as their screen name, then bashes their employees publicly online. If I was your employee and read this, I'd probably go to work tomorrow and hit every thing imaginable with your mower.

Just sayin.