Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-29-2011, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Accepting Credit Cards with Square

Yesterday I signed up with Square, to start accepting credit cards with my iPhone 4. So far, I am pretty impressed. Setup within minutes, instant approval, and from what I have seen very competitive rates.

2.75% with card reader(free, they say it takes a couple days to get). If you enter credit card numbers manually, Square costs 3.5% + $.15 per transaction. No monthly fees.

Cheaper than PayPal, and from what I have seen, cheaper than even what Sam's Club has been trying to sell me.

Most of my customers always have a check waiting for me, or if billed monthly, are great payers, but am excited to offer an alternative.

Who here uses Square, and your thoughts? From the reviews at Apple, people love it. To be honest, am even thinking when I offer to accept credit cards, explain to the customer, (and put it in writing) that it will include the appropriate fee. I don't believe any of my customers will mind, if they choose to pay by credit card, to have the fee included in on the price. I think that this will lead to more prepaid services, say for a month at a time. Just thinking out loud.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Got Square about a month ago for one of my bigger customers... received the reader about 4 days later...

Ran a couple tests using my own credit card.. just running through $20 charges. Scanned perfectly, asks for a signature on my droid with finger, and it was in my business account 2 days later.. that was great but only $20.

Went to my big customer 2 days ago.. they owed my $7500... there limit was $5,000 so we scanned at $4,900... authorized... she signed on my phone. She input her email address and it immediately emails a receipt... Got an email last night (1 day later) that it will be in my account within 3 business days.

Checked bank this morning (2 days later) and it's in there.... BAM!

at 2.75% that is very reasonable, with no minimums, no monthly fees, no equipment charges... if you are not using this you will soon.. It's a winner.

got a check for the other $2,500 so all my snow accounts paid.. .finally.. bring on the lawns.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Checking into it now. Hope it will add some convenience and speed up the whole process.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2011, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Square pinged my bank account with 2 small deposits, and then withdrew it. Got on-line and verified. Am waiting on my card reader, thinking it should be in by mid week. Can now officially accept credit cards. Can manually type them in, until my card reader comes in.

How simple. It has taken me longer to type this post, than to set up this merchant account.

The more I think about having this, the more I think, this is going to do nothing but help my business. I have a great list of customers, and most pay cash, or by check on the spot. I do very little invoicing. But am thinking that alot of my customers might use this, and prepay for services, say a month at a time. Might help with cash flow.

Will keep ya'll updated!
Old 04-30-2011, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use it also and have had no problems. I emailed them asking for extra readers and it took them a couple of days to reply, but once they did I got them two days later no questions asked.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Was trying to setup pay pal with my quickbooks. Pay pal doesn't support mac! thought i would see what the folks over at lawnsite are using. This program sounds pretty good! do any of you use it with quickbooks? Good Bad? I like how you can use it on your phone. Make them pay you on the spot! i like it $$$$$
Old 04-30-2011, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can you put a link in your invoice?
Old 04-30-2011, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshutter View Post
Was trying to setup pay pal with my quickbooks. Pay pal doesn't support mac! thought i would see what the folks over at lawnsite are using. This program sounds pretty good! do any of you use it with quickbooks? Good Bad? I like how you can use it on your phone. Make them pay you on the spot! i like it $$$$$
Only bad thing about it is it only works on the Droid and Iphone. It won't work at all on my blackberry which sucks horribly, so I have a droid for this.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I heard that you need a us bank account for this. Is that true, or can it be used with any bank account?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2011, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone know if square syncs with quickbooks? Website? Invoices?
Posted via Mobile Device